Trying to decide what to do with this STE... (Long)

dbtk2

Ok, so heres the story. In October my tranny went out in my STE on my way home from work. I turned a corner, stepped on the gas, and all it did was free rev. (the event that probably led to this had happened the day before, and damn was it fun!) Somehow I was going fast enough for it to go into 2nd gear and apparantly it had 2nd and 4th gear so I drove it home. (with only one minor stoplight problem) So I then towed it to a repair shop that I was really good friends with the owner of. He cut me a very good deal and fixed the tranny. ($700 for full rebuild, installed) So they put it in and it wasn't shifting right and they were saying it was because of my shift cable. (wasn't hooked up right due to my topend) So finally after I convinced them it wasn't the throttle cable they figured out the valve body gasket was in backwards. At this point I had been driving it for about 2 weeks and when the tranny was torn down all the new parts were basically done for. They also said they didn't want to work on it anymore because it was a PITA to work on, so they didn't. They also haven't gotten paid for the original tranny job because of this, so really its fine with me. So, the car has sat there since then. (which it was gonna anyways 'cause thats where I was gonna store it for winter) So right now, I have a good running and good looking STE with a bad tranny.

I have been considering my options on what to do with it, and I'm just not sure:

Option 1: Buy a used TGP tranny and put it in myself and drive the car, taking it easy of course to try to keep the tranny together, and probalby demodding a little to help with this, because I won't be able to resist the urge.

Option 2: Swap in a 282/284 Getrag, do a large port 3100 or 3400 topend swap, and a few other misc. mods and shoot for low 13's.

Option 3: Pay $1800 to have a tranny shop that I know does good work rebuild the tranny right and build it up a little as well.

Option 4: Part out the car, sell Lumina, buy something a little more fun. (mostlikely rwd and with a 4/5/6 speed)

Option 5: Put regular 440T4 in and sell it right away to an unsuspecting buyer to get rid of it. <-This was my grandfathers idea...I don't plan on doing it.

Option 6: Any suggestions?

So, what would you do? I really don't know what I should do, I can't decide. The shop its been at since this happened keeps saying they are gonna pull it and fix it right, but they haven't done it yet. They have promised it will be done friday, but I really don't see that happening anytime soon, because I know the owner a little too well.

Shawn

I have an extra 284 Getrag with a bad 2nd gear synchro if you're interested. If it was me, I'd swap in a 282. Luke's car made me honestly want one, it just flew through the gears. I don't know how I beat it, it felt awesome. I loved it.

No1Kicker has a TGP tranny in his garage, thats my vote

Thats option number one...thats the used tranny I'm considering. But, that would really require me to demod, which I don't wanna do, because the torque this thing has is just gonna destroy that one too, and I don't have a lot of self control, so I can't just keep my foot out of it...

Shawn

I would say either sell it to somone who would fix it like my self or to someone else who would if money is the issue...other wise swap in a 282 or a tgp trans...

its not really worth paying 1800 for a rebuild, being someone who knows how could rebuild it for alot less.

Tell u what, give me the car, ill throw a tranny into it and be nice 2 it 8) :lol:

5 speed isnt a bad idea, frees up a lot of lost horsepower and makes it a whole lot more spunky to drive, plus pickup a mpg or 2

Option 2 or 4.

I'm really leaning towards option 2, but its difficult to find a 282 in good shape, and then swapping it is gonna be quite a chore as well. But if option 2 doesn't happen, it will likely be option 4, but I am wondering if anyone has any other opinions or something thats why I asked here.

5 speed isnt a bad idea, frees up a lot of lost horsepower and makes it a whole lot more spunky to drive, plus pickup a mpg or 2

Yes, the 5 speed will free up hp, but I doubt it will make me much quicker. It won't be easy to launch it, and anyone on here with a 5 speed will tell you these getrags are not the easiest trannies to shift, not only that but with the shorter gearing, I'm sure first gear and probably most of 2nd will be useless. First gear with my 440T4 was useless, so I can't even imagine what it would be like with a shorter gear.

Also, I highly doubt I would pick up mpg. Honestly, how am I gonna pick up mpg going from a 3.33 final drive to a 3.61 or whatever a 282 is? But, realistically I'm not even worried about MPG. The car takes premium gas and I race the thing, how could I even be worried about mileage. It seems kinda stupid to me to complain about mileage in a car you built to perform well. I lost 8mpg with my topend and cam swap, mileage is the least of my concerns.

If you want the car you can come pick it up anytime you want. Bring a trailer and $2k and its yours.

Do u love ur car? if so, 5 speed, or rebuild

It was my first car. And as I'm sure you know, there is nothing like your first car, so of course I love the car. I really don't want to get rid of it, but being 17 I don't have huge amounts of cash so it may be the only realistic option in the end.

Shawn

get urself a Geo Metro, 3 cyl, and save on gas, and it might cost 100$, and drive that around till u get the money for a new transmission

I never said I didn't have the money for a new tranny. Afterall, I drove a $200 Cutlass Calais for the last 4 months (bought the car a few days before the tranny went), so I got good mileage and basically all my income went into the bank. But, I can't just put a new tranny in it. A stock rebuild isn't gonna do crap for me, because I'm just gonna blow it up again. You know what blew up my tranny. Not normal wear and tear like clutches wearing out...I stripped out all the gears on a shaft in the tranny, the tranny guy said the rest of it really didn't look to bad, but he also couldn't believe that I could strip the shaft like that, he was sure I had to have neutral dropped it or something to put that much torque on it. (it was a very very nice patch on the road though) I need to have enough money to get a built tranny for it, and I don't have $1800 for that, and honestly I don't think its worth that, so even if I had it I'm not sure I would pay it. I have been quoted between $9-1200 for stock rebuilds from many shops, and the shop its at now orignally said $700, and they keep saying that they are gonna get to it soon and actually fix it, and now for $600 'cause its been sitting there so long, but they aren't gonna be strong enough. (not that its worth the $100 to sit there for 4 months) And a 5 speed isn't really expensive, its just a PITA to find all the parts, and its not easy to put in. Realistically, I'm probably gonna have to put a 5 speed in it, or get rid of it.

And how is a metro gonna help me do that? First off, I'd have to buy it, and then I'd have to maintain it, and believe me they are not cheap to maintain. Plus, I very highly doubt insurance will be nearly as cheap as it is for my Lumina. Honestly, my Lumina gets pretty good mileage, and I really don't drive much. I probably spend $40 a month on gas, and I actually get to have a little fun with it...with a metro it would probably cost more than that because my foot would always be on the floor.

Shawn

I'm sorry I didn't take you for a ride in my TGP while you were here, but I didn't have a new fan motor yet so that's why. If I would have taken you for a ride, you would be going with option 2. :P

I really want to do option 2, but I have to find a donor car to do it...and around here thats not easy to do. If I could find a donor car, then hell yeah I'll put a 5 speed in it and be driving it in the spring.

Shawn

Did you ever check out car-part.com ??? It's a parts listing for auto recyclers, and I've used it a couple times for odds, and ends. I got a tranny for my '90 Olds Cutlass Ciera for $150 from a place on there, and it been 3 years since I put it in and it's still running. 8)

If the tranny ever takes a shit in the wife's TSTE it will get a 5-speed. Who has ever said the 5-speeds are hard to shift? Luke's (my old) 282 was so smooth it scared me. Any manual tranny I have had in the past (normally 4 speed muncie's or import 5-speeds)...when they got smooth they were ready to blow gears out of the gearbox!! From the day I put the proper gear lube (GM Synchromesh) in the tranny it was absolutley smooth and never ever missed a gear or scratched one!

Finding a donor car is not that hard! Look for 1988-1990 GP's. I found one in SLC for $400. Drove it home and sold the 2.8 out of it for $400. Then sold a bunch of parts out of it for another $150. When I finally had everything I wanted out of it I sold it to the Junkyard for $100. It easily paid for everything I needed to do to the TGP.

Plus if you don't do it first I may do it to the TSTE to be the ONLY ONE with a 5-speed TSTE!! :wink: :lol: 8)

Guest TurboSedan

Yes, the 5 speed will free up hp, but I doubt it will make me much quicker. It won't be easy to launch it, and anyone on here with a 5 speed will tell you these getrags are not the easiest trannies to shift, not only that but with the shorter gearing, I'm sure first gear and probably most of 2nd will be useless. First gear with my 440T4 was useless, so I can't even imagine what it would be like with a shorter gear.

Also, I highly doubt I would pick up mpg. Honestly, how am I gonna pick up mpg going from a 3.33 final drive to a 3.61 or whatever a 282 is?

Shawn

i would go for a used TGP trans and swap it in. BUT, swapping to a 282 would be a close 2nd choice for me. trust me a 5-speed swap is really pretty easy and 282s really aren't that hard to find. the 282 1st gear and most of 2nd would probably be useless, ecspecially with the W-body 282s steep 1st and 2nd gear. i would go for a J or L body 282 instead of the W-body 282. BTW you need to look at more than just the FDR #; you have to take into consideration the speed gears themselves too (overall gearing). i actually gained MPG on the highway with the 5-speed but i lost a little MPG in town (probably because i had my foot in it more because the 5-speed is soooo much more fun in town :D ) fwiw, i cruised @ 2700 RPM in 5th on the highway and that was good for almost 33mpg! my car felt MUCH quicker after i swapped the 282 in, down low AND on the highway passing cars.

If you want the car you can come pick it up anytime you want. Bring a trailer and $2k and its yours.

:smilielol: didn't you buy it for $1800 and now it has a bad transmission? i would love to have a maroon TSTE - whatever you do don't sell it - you can get a replacement trans easy enough.

Guest TurboSedan
Who has ever said the 5-speeds are hard to shift?

no doubt!! my 282 shifts smoooooth....wayyy smoother than my GTS and even my GTS shifts pretty smooth!

your in the same boat I'm in. I'm about to put money together and buy a fiero to put my motor in and part out the car or find a regular 3.1 auto combo to put in it and sell it. I will never get more than 1500 out of the car fixed without a paint job and a transmission is 1000 so I'd be taking a loss.

I could get about 3500 out of a fiero that had that motor in it and about 800 out of a regular 3.1 four door.

thats where I am.

transmissions suck!

marcus

i would go for a used TGP trans and swap it in. BUT, swapping to a 282 would be a close 2nd choice for me. trust me a 5-speed swap is really pretty easy and 282s really aren't that hard to find. the 282 1st gear and most of 2nd would probably be useless, ecspecially with the W-body 282s steep 1st and 2nd gear. i would go for a J or L body 282 instead of the W-body 282. BTW you need to look at more than just the FDR #; you have to take into consideration the speed gears themselves too (overall gearing). i actually gained MPG on the highway with the 5-speed but i lost a little MPG in town (probably because i had my foot in it more because the 5-speed is soooo much more fun in town :D ) fwiw, i cruised @ 2700 RPM in 5th on the highway and that was good for almost 33mpg! my car felt MUCH quicker after i swapped the 282 in, down low AND on the highway passing cars.

:smilielol: didn't you buy it for $1800 and now it has a bad transmission? i would love to have a maroon TSTE - whatever you do don't sell it - you can get a replacement trans easy enough.

See thats the thing. I would just swap in a used TGP trans, but I really want to keep modding the car, and another TGP trans is not gonna hold up to the power I want it to. When you strip out hard parts obviously the tranny isn't strong enough. Thats why I really want to go with a 5 speed, but I haven't had luck finding any 5 speed w's around here for a donor car. I've been looking on and off since I got the STE in December of '03, but haven't really had any luck. I've looked on car-part.com I've looked at the yards when I was there for other things, there just aren't any 5 speed w's in this area. I've been looking in the paper and stuff too, but haven't seen any in there for a reasonable price either.

I realize you have to look at more than fdr for the gears, but from everything I've read, the tallest 5th gear you can get in a 282 is .72:1 or something...the one in the 440T4 is .7:1, so you can't have a 282 that turns lower rpms than the stock tranny. The 282 I had in my Calais had the .81 (or something close to that) 5th gear, and that thing wound out a lot farther than I am comfortable with my STE doing on the freeway.

I don't see what you're laughing at about the price. First off, I'm not gonna give the car away so I purposely set it at a price that I don't see anyone buying it for but if they do I won't mind it going for that price, and 2nd think about this. When I bought the car it was completely stock, and I STOLE it from the guy. It had 69k on it, now it still only has 79k. I put a $300 chip in it, $100 ud pulley, then I did the topend swap, which overall cost me around $900 including the cam, all the gaskets, head bolts, etc... Then I put the magnaflow mufflers on it and removed the cat, so thats around $150 worth of exhaust work. It has 4 good tires (Bridgestone Potenza G009's) on it that have around 1500 miles on them, plus the 5 spoke wheels, and I also have the stock wheels with Good Year Eagle RSA's with 20% tread left that would go with it too. Oh yeah, plus the HUD I added. The working factory cd player I added. New radiator. New cradle bushings. New motor mounts. New brake calipers all the way around, and also rotors and pads as well. (it NEEDED those) I also have a new GM accumulator sitting here waiting to go in it, but i haven't put it in yet. I have WELL over $5k into it. Now I realize mods don't usually add to the value of the car, but I'm not gonna give the car away.

And honestly, I have never been impressed with the way getrags shift. My Calais 442 had a 282 in it, and it was pretty notchy. Not bad, and I could live with it, but I've definatley driven cars with better trannies in them. I wouldn't mind having one in my STE, but I definately won't testify that its a good shifting tranny.

Really, I am willing to spend about $2k to get the car fixed so I can drive it, but I can't decide the best way to do so.

Shawn

I don't see what you're laughing at about the price. First off, I'm not gonna give the car away so I purposely set it at a price that I don't see anyone buying it for but if they do I won't mind it going for that price, and 2nd think about this. When I bought the car it was completely stock, and I STOLE it from the guy.

Really, I am willing to spend about $2k to get the car fixed so I can drive it, but I can't decide the best way to do so.

Shawn

if you let it sit and stay for a bit while looking for a donner car and deside to sell it in the condition its in I would give 2K in the summer for it...if you where to sell it.

being IM picking one up for 1,000 and its white on grey like mine is 2K wouldn't be that bad. with that low of miles. do you have all the parts that you modded so it could be brought back to stock in the future if someone wanted to?

Just laying that out for yea.

I don't really have all the parts because I had to modify some of the stock topend stuff to get the 3100 topend to work. (the solid coolant line, the metal intake hose that comes from the IC, fuel lines, and a few other small misc. things) The exhaust manifolds have been ported to match the 3100 heads so I'd have to find new ones of those. I have stuff like the stock chip, stock t-stat, stock crank pulley, the major parts of the topend (although the heads would need to be rebuilt, thats why I did the topend swap 'cause I had it apart anyways), the stock cam, stock intake tubes and airbox, but I would never be putting this stuff back in. Plus the exhaust could never be stock (the mufflers had holes in them anyways), I'd have to buy a different one. The AC condensor has half the fins missing, as I did the mod for more flow to the IC. It could be made mostly stock with everything I have, but honestly its not worth the time or effort to make it stock IMO.

Shawn

The reaction drum is what you striped right?

Well WE ALL have to knock on Jeffs door and protest about the clutch kits/ parts he's been prommising :mrgreen: . :lol:

Well like any stop and go tranny with almost 100K miles..you will have to spend more than what your typical build needs. Trans shops that have alot of work on their hands will just usually replace clutches/bands and what ever hard part broke. Some might even put a shift kit if you ask or if your lucky they will put it without you saying so. but the thing is that other part weare/leak.

For a high perfomance rebuild..you would need to littrally make your valve body new. New valves, accumulators..ect, rebuild pump. Then new servos. Like this..theres no weak link to the new rebuild or hidden defect. Sonnax has most parts you need. As far as shift kits..try transgo or Superior. Protest to jeff about his shift kits...Give us a beta kit atleast :lol: .

On the bands..the only company I know that has good bands is Raybestos..the Kevlar Power bands. Eagle has some good bands..but I dont know if they make it for our trans.

On cluches..stock holds nice..but Red clutches and Kolene steels would be ideal. Give Raybestos a call..they might help you out. Other than that...J&M studios.

New prag of corse.

Check all clerances. Use steel shims on the diff. Get new harded final drive sungear from sonnax and replace the cross shaft on the diff..im sure its worn from your lead foot :shock: :P .

Might want to check the TQ converter too. Rebuild with harder stator, new beaings, new lock up friction...or better friction. ?? I heard the carbon ones hold nice.

Easy eh.. :lol: I'm still cleanning inspecting my 3t40. Good news is I just need a new 1-2 accumulator, valves and pump drive shaft. Is a long learning experiance.

But what ever you do don't paint your tranny PINK :lol: . :wink: