Steering...

Strecker25

No experience in doing the modification, but it would involve swapping the rack. Some models (somebody know which ones?) did have tighter steering. My '89 GP (base model, but has the optional suspension) has firm feeling steering while my '96 Lumina (soft suspension option) has the "one-finger" steering.

ive got a base 94, just wondering in general if anyones done it. Not familiar with our setups at all actually but if it involved a different gear ratio i could knock one out rather quickly on a cnc to tighten it up. all just a thought, wanted to get some feedback

I had my dad look it up in a book.. He said 88-93 GP racks were some SMALL amount longer than the Lumina ones.. Pissed me off.. I WANT the TGP one, but if that 1/8" has even a REMOTE possibility of making this project 10 times harder, then fuck it..

IIRC, there was a post about this over a year ago....

I think there are two different types of racks...sport type and non-sport type....

1. if it has a quick ratio (as in not as many turns to the steering wheel) then in has a longer turn radius

2. if the car doesn't have the quick steering response, then it has a shorter turning radius....

You sarifice one to get the other....turning radius or response...

Does this make sense.....someone back me up on this one...

That makes sense... If the ones with the slow steering ratio had the thinner, steel wheels, you could get a tighter turn without rubbing tires. Like my buddy's Avenger ES. Based off of the Eclipse suspension and everything, but Eclipses never had tires that tall, so they had to take down the maximum steering angle... He needs an OBSCENE amount of space to do a U-turn... it's really pretty funny!

Mike

That makes sense... If the ones with the slow steering ratio had the thinner, steel wheels, you could get a tighter turn without rubbing tires. Like my buddy's Avenger ES. Based off of the Eclipse suspension and everything, but Eclipses never had tires that tall, so they had to take down the maximum steering angle... He needs an OBSCENE amount of space to do a U-turn... it's really pretty funny!

Mike

I can relate to him on needing an OBSCENE amount of U-Turn space. My friends always laugh at me in my Cutty's because they need so much room to turn around. I joke there are no 3pt turns, only 10pt turns. But its the price I pay for driving something so comfy :)

Jason

So how many turns does the "sport rack" rack from extreme left to extreme right?

And how many does the "non sport rack" from extreme left to extreme right?

- Jeff L.

So how many turns does the "sport rack" rack from extreme left to extreme right?

And how many does the "non sport rack" from extreme left to extreme right?

- Jeff L.

The TGP is 2 turns lock to lock as far as I can remember. It's also a 14.0:1 ratio rack, the normal racks of the TGP era(89-90) were 15.7:1 ratio(this info came from a TGP brochure).