T

Invasion1

Mounting these to??...lawn mower :lol: :P Which cutty are you putting these on??

Gimme its stock wheel sizes!!!! If its the turbo version, need bigger tires :twisted: and 8 inch rims are a help there, but going to have to know how much clearance you have with the stock rims and stock tires, then figuer the offset of these to those, awe shit, just stick on the TGP rims/tyres if the bolt pattern is the same and let me know how well they clear when turning the steering wheel lock to lock??

We will finger it out 8)

Jeff M

i was going to suggest 245/45 - 17. there's a lot out there for that size. its a wider tire than you have and lower profile so you get less sidewall flex. but jeff does prove point. lets make sure that the offset is right.

If you had 225/60R16, then 245/50R17 will match stock with no speedo error. Rubbing on the plastic splash shield is likely, because stock tires do it and you go wider without going shorter and it's even more likely to rub. That's what I did and it rubs, but it also sure fills the wheel wells.

245/45R17 will be 1" shorter (3% speedo error). That 1" difference seems to leave a lot of gap on Cutlasses in pics I've seen, but I've never seen a straight side shot nor have I seen it in person. The 1" shorter tire looks a lot better on the other W-bodies that have smaller, squarish wheel wells.

No-no Silly Boy, “Bigger†for the Turbo Conversion is to address traction so we need more meat, not taller meat :lol: I should have said wider instead of bigger :!:

From the GoodYear book I have, 225/55/16 has an overall height of 25.67 inches (which is the same as the TGP) and to match that but also looking for a wider footprint/more traction/hell better looking 17†tire 8) , you can pick from the following that have the same height:

245/45/17

275/40/17

315/35/17 (yeahaaaaa)

Now I knew some competition car show vehicle Grand Prixs that went the 275s but after asking me a ton of info, never gave me anything in return i.e. feedback on how they fit :evil: .

The width of your rim is 8 inches and the stock 225/55/16 tire calls for 8.1 inches, and a 245mm states a rim width of 8.9 inches which will work out perfect!!!! Aside from the fitment being safe and all, the tire being a little wider near the rim will help protect you when you bump a curb :wink:

So, time to shop for some rubber, you just did not say if you need some all season, summer with rain or screw it all and go full traction like Nitto Drag Radials for the street which is what I run on my TGP :twisted: .

Now if Shawn is correcting you by stating 225/60/16 which has an overall height of 26.61 is what you car "had" stock, then we need to think this again :P

Jeff M

Thanks for the help Jeff.......and whats with al this posting out of the TGP section... :wink:

anyway.....yes time to shop for some rubber....i was so thrilled with my Toyo Proxes FZ4's on the 16"s i thinking of Toyo again for the 17"s

thanks again

Dave

Shhh, I got out of my cage :lol:

So you want all season or pure terror of the tarmac tyres!!!

Jeff M

oh ya my bad for originally posting this in the wrong section..... :oops:

and im looking for Performance All Season or pending $$$ Summer tires..

this car only sees hot pavement and rain from time to time so snow is not a factor...

Ummm, what section we in :oops: :lol: It say "Rims and Tires", close enough since you got a Cutty with some extra power is all :P.

No snow, this is good, most any tire will take rain, its up to the driver if the puddles are deep to slow his ass down :lol: As for traction in rain with this engine, not much difference with tires, they will all struggle to grab, some better than others but not enough to give up a tires that hooks when its dry. 1010 is a great info place, do the typical and checkout The Tire Rack, their reviews help some too in your search for info!! And yep, 45 series sidewalls will be a bit firm depending on if you drop and/or your struts life cycle, 50s would help if you still like that nice oldsmobubble ride 8)

Jeff M

this car only sees hot pavement and rain from time to time so snow is not a factor...

Ummm, what section we in :oops: :lol: It say "Rims and Tires", close enough since you got a Cutty with some extra power is all :P.

I moved it into this section :wink:

Yep, 245/45R17 would be EXACTLY the same diameter as what you already have, 25.7".

You mentioned you were considering a little more tire... on an 8" rim, you can't use anything wider than 255 so for a little more tire, your options would be:

225/55R17 = 26.7"

245/50R17 = 26.7"

235/50R17 = 26.3"

255/45R17 = 26.0"

Stock sizes are either 215/60R16 = 26.2" or 225/60R16 = 26.6".

I wouldn't go smaller than the 25.7" that you already have or else you'll get that big empty wheel well look. Cutlass wheel openings (on the coupes at least) are bigger than GP's, Luminas, and Regals so small tires will have more gap.

I moved it into this section :wink:

Me missed that, nice having all these busy mods keeping things in order for us (and no I am not a mod on the W-Body side, so I am not stroking my own wiener :) ).

Thanks Jeremy

Jeff M

You mentioned you were considering a little more tire... on an 8" rim, you can't use anything wider than 255. I wouldn't go smaller than the 25.7" that you already have or else you'll get that big empty wheel well look. Cutlass wheel openings (on the coupes at least) are bigger than GP's, Luminas, and Regals so small tires will have more gap.

Good point to clear up here on "not wider than 255": :shock:

Also great to have someone that knows the openings and fitments of other sizes, GPs have a pretty healthy gap at times so would really stick out on a Cutty with more opening!

Jeff M

245/45/17 (Speedometer Difference: 0.235% too fast)

and

245/50/17 (Speedometer Difference: 3.496% too slow)

Not an issue, too small of a difference, about the same as comparing a new tire with full tread depth to an old one with the wear bars showing :lol:

I have newer KYB's in the car as well as new ball joints, tie rods ends, bushings.

as for the springs i hope to get something worked out with the Intrax 1.8 inch drop springs :wink:

and that Birchmount Lowering leaf

mainly i don't want the tires sticking out of the fenders to much and the ability to steer properly would be nice.....

That would be where Shawn also has some good info, the offsets of the TGP rims (not sure if you have TGP rims for this test?!?!?) and comparing to your new ones, and finding out what the old ones were.

Jeff M

My 245's have plenty of room with a +37mm offset in the rear.

There we go :thumbsup:

Now Davis, if we ever get a reply :P to you having some 245mm tires on TGP rims ( :?: ) we can then tell you to slap them on and have fun checking the fitment, and grip :lol: And I don't think the word TGP Rims here will desecrate the topic's lineage :twitch: :)

Jeff M

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

225/60-16 5.3in 13.3in 26.6in 83.7in 757 0.0%

225/55-17 4.9in 13.4in 26.7in 84.0in 754 0.4%

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

225/60-16 5.3in 13.3in 26.6in 83.7in 757 0.0%

245/45-17 4.3in 12.8in 25.7in 80.7in 785 -3.6%

I know newbies aren't suppose to comment on tech stuff but this is the info I was given when I changed my wheel size. The 225/55-17 are closest IF you want to change without risk of any rubs or restrictions. At 100KPH you are only out by .04 of a kilometer and to set the 2 sizes side by side only way to tell the difference by naked eye is to look at the rim opening or sidewall makings.

You might try Ebay, tires are cheap there!

For example, I'm looking at getting brand new 245/45R18 tires from Ebay for $420 shipped... I've seen guys on here pay more for 225/60R16's.

Yeah, I agree your wheel wells do look a little roomy with 25.7" tall tires.

It would look a lot better when lowered though. It's hard to tell how much side gap you have in the angled pics, how about a straight side shot?

You might take a look at my car and airbe5car's car and see how the diameter looks to you, we both run 26.7" tall tires. Mine are 245/45ZR18's and his are 225/55R17's.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gnatgosplat

http://www.cardomain.com/id/airbe5car

Mine do rub a little on the plastic splash shield on one side when I take a tight right turn. I think I can probably also afford a little more side gap. I don't really want to go all the way to 25.7" tall tires, I think 26.3" would be ideal, but to get that you have to go to a 235-wide tire (235/50R17 or 235/45R18).

I really don't know how 255-wide tires would look on a Cutlass. It would be perfect on the rear since I think the ass end is a little wider and the rear track is 1" narrower, but I'm not sure about the front. I'm not sure if it would stick out too much or not. I don't think 255/45R17 would rub since they're only 26" tall, or if they do, I don't think they'd rub anything metal. Just a guess though, I've never seen anyone with 255's on a Cutlass.

i thinking of buying some new wheels for my 92 lumi and i had 215/45/17 on there for the summer rims but the new ones i would like to got wider and taller maybe, 235/50/17 but i might be lowering her soon. should i just stick to 235/45/17, but remember i live in Pennsylvania, land of the pot capital. I already bent one rim because of a damn pothole.

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, I was hoping you'd be brave enough to try the 255's. :)

I was thinking to try 255/40-18's on mine which are the same diameter and width as 255/45-17's. I kind of wanted someone else to try it first, hahah!

You could buy 2 255/45's, have them mounted, then put them on the front and drive around a bit. If they rub, put 'em in the rear and get 245's up front. If they don't, you can run 255's on all 4 corners. There's no benefit to a staggered setup on an FWD car, but it always looks cool to see fat wide tires when looking at the ass end.