Vacuum modulator HELP!

TeeJay3800

I do have steelies on my car. Idunno, I just have no problem screeching my tires. Maybe I just got a grandpa car or something, or a factory freak! :lol:

Exactly. The smaller diameter rim probably means that your steelie weighs much less than his 16" rim. Meaning, much easier to spin your tires.

I do have steelies on my car. Idunno, I just have no problem screeching my tires. Maybe I just got a grandpa car or something, or a factory freak! :lol:

Exactly. The smaller diameter rim probably means that your steelie weighs much less than his 16" rim. Meaning, much easier to spin your tires.

Well hell! Maybe I'll just get some sick looking wheel covers!

What would be the advantages to putting rims on my car? Would I notice better ride?

well, rule that tranny thing out...i serviced mine @ 65k, and i only have 70k on it now... :lol: ...i've also changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc...i think my car's just messed up...i need a 3400 like...NOW!!! :twisted:

My 94 GP hardly did, and it had 13x,xxx miles on it when I totalled it. I also had hardly any traction on my tires as well. The engine and tranny were in perfect condition too.

Terry, I have a feeling that your thinking your 3100 has more power than what it really has (or, if your driving your parents 3400 around, it will make it feel this way as well). With that low of mileage, I would have to assume that there is hardly anything wrong with your engine. If fact, i could almost guarantee that if you found some 15" rims and tires, and swapped them onto your car, that you could get them to bark the tires.

you might be right about that...but, it does have an occassional stu-stu-studder that i can't seem to find the answer to fix...thats what's really pissing me off...it may not improve the cars performance much, but its really bothering me...it only seems to do it going uphill while cruising, or taking off easy...if you floor it, it'll take off...another thing that made me think something wasnt right was the 17.49 ET i ran @ the track...the guy with the '94 cutty with the 3100 is like 16.5... :roll:

Well hell! Maybe I'll just get some sick looking wheel covers!

What would be the advantages to putting rims on my car? Would I notice better ride?

Larger rims? Most likely, your ride would suffer some. You'll have less tires soaking up the bumps in the roads(same effect as the shocks on your car).

I can tell a noticable ride difference from my 16"'s to my 17"'s. The 16's are much more smoother, and more gentle, but don't handle half as well. The 17's ride is much more stiff, but handles awesome.

you might be right about that...but, it does have an occassional stu-stu-studder that i can't seem to find the answer to fix...thats what's really pissing me off...it may not improve the cars performance much, but its really bothering me...it only seems to do it going uphill while cruising, or taking off easy...if you floor it, it'll take off...another thing that made me think something wasnt right was the 17.49 ET i ran @ the track...the guy with the '94 cutty with the 3100 is like 16.5... :roll:

I'd be more than willing to come out there on my spring break for a few hours to check out your car, and see what I can figure out.

I'd be more than willing to come out there on my spring break for a few hours to check out your car, and see what I can figure out.

:shock: DUDE!!...that'd be sweet...i might have to take you up on that!...you might think i'm a jackass for not figuring it out myself though :lol: ...i have a autoxray scanner, but the car doesnt show any missfires or anything...i just dunno where to go next...BUT, maybe if we both got into it sometime we could figure something out... :? ...

:shock: DUDE!!...that'd be sweet...i might have to take you up on that!...you might think i'm a jackass for not figuring it out myself though :lol: ...i have a autoxray scanner, but the car doesnt show any missfires or anything...i just dunno where to go next...BUT, maybe if we both got into it sometime we could figure something out... :? ...

AIM me.

Yeah, If your transmission shifts soft your clutches are slipping to make it soft. A hard shift has less slip - of course then it will beat on the rest of the parts, but the rest of the parts should hold up better than the clutch anyway.

In theory, yes. The vacuum modulator controls line pressure of the pump. This is tied to vacuum because you'll want a harder shift at WOT then you will just going down the road or decelerating. My 1993 Service manual has line pressure guideline, thats if you have the right tools, you can test. NOTE this is hard on the transmission.

I have heard from many knowledgable people that changing your adjustable modulator for quicker, firmer shifts actually decreases wear on the transmission. My tranny was slow to shift, sloppy, and clunky with the old modulator. Now all shifts (as well as TCC engagement) are quick, tight, and solid. I hardly feel I am being hard on my transmission by making it take less time to shift.

Hello.

When I said it was hard on the transmission, I ment the pressure test. There is a little box in the service manual that states "NOTICE: Total running time not to exceed 2 minutes". I'm sure firmer shifts would be good for the transmission, as it would promote less wear. It's the test that is tough because the pump puts out full pressure for a long period of time, which might get things hot.

Hello.

When I said it was hard on the transmission, I ment the pressure test. There is a little box in the service manual that states "NOTICE: Total running time not to exceed 2 minutes". I'm sure firmer shifts would be good for the transmission, as it would promote less wear. It's the test that is tough because the pump puts out full pressure for a long period of time, which might get things hot.

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. It makes good sense that firmer shifts would be easier on the tranny. There is something odd with mine though, doesn't matter if I have the modulator set for quick or slow shifts, they always seem to be hard (meaning I can always feel it shift no matter what). My parents new cars (and even my bro's 115k mile '89 Reatta) all shifter smoother than mine. At least it's quick and tight now!

I didn't see the response to people asking how/if this will work out on the 4t60-e. I assume the same part will work for it? And the computer wouldn't be affected by line pressure, nor would the components of the elec. portion of the trans? What was the part number for the adj. mod?

• 3 years later...

Old thread. Be sure to look at the date before you bump up another.