the right tool for balljoint removal?

Guest TurboSedan

We usually just hammer or air hammer the lower control arm until it pops free, helps if you have some serious pressure on it with a large pry bar though. Saves the boot anyways, and a hammer and pry bar is cheaper and used more than the correct tool. I guess it all depends on how much you intend on using it.

I think it was around $90! You can get 'em from SPX Kent Moore. I don't have their # anymore, but I found them on the web awhile back.

This tool is the proper tool for the balljoints, tierods, and hub studs on a W-body.

Certainly. I'll take some pics when I get home.

It's real nice quality, nicer than it needs to be though. It's probably only same amount of materials as those cheap $10 Pitman-arm pullers. They could probably be manufactured to be sold for about that much.

If you could make some, I bet you could sell them for $20/each easy and make some pretty good money! I think it'll pull balljoints on more than just W-bodies too. Doesn't hurt the balljoint at all, and doesn't take hardly any muscle to use.

Shawn posted some pictures.

Awesome pictures, even with measurements and all!!!

I'm going to save them to my computer. Next time I'm home, I'll show my dad the pictures, see what we can come up with.

EDIT:

IMG_1008.jpg

Could you get me the dimension from the tip of the opening to where the rear of the opening is? Just want to make sure i have it deep enough.

Also, is that a pointed tip, or a rounded off tip on the screw shaft?

I'll try to get that measurement today. The end of the shaft has a little ball bearing in it, but if you can machine the end to a similar shape, I think it would work just as well.

You can see the ball bearing in this pic:

IMG_1009.jpg

Yeah, thats what I figured I would do. I'll be home sometime before spring break, so hopefully I'll be able to fab one up and test it out while I'm on my spring break. If all go's well, I will see what I can do about making some more.

Could you get me the dimension from the tip of the opening to where the rear of the opening is? Just want to make sure i have it deep enough.

Sorry this took so long, I kinda forgot...

Is this the dimension you're looking for?

IMG_1041.jpg

Here are some other dimensions I took down:

thread length 3.350"

thread pitch 0.05"

thread diameter 0.618"

bolt head 3/4" hex

Ball end 0.310" diameter

Awesome!

Next time I'm home, i'll present the idea to my dad. I could see about making up a few of these.

I'd be willing to buy one!

I've broke stupid cheap pickle fork trying to remove my balljoint, and bent my tie-rod pickle fork. Usually a hammer ends up getting the job done. :roll: