Tranny Fluid in Power Steering??

OldsmoBeast

Hey everyone,

I was at Shitty Lube yesterday and while they were changing my oil they 'noticed that my PS fluid was a tad low'. They topped it up for me (FOR TWO FREAKIN DOLLARS) and i left... today I noticed my PS getting a little bit heavier and I opened up my PS and it smelled like burnt tranny fluid in there. I'm thinking maybe those goons messed up. What do you think? Could tranny fluid destroy my PS pump?

Thanks everyone!

YK

supposedly some kinds of tranny fluid are alright to use.. NOT Dexron III though. I wouldn't do it, whatever the case though.

And I hate when they do that.. notice somethings low and charge you out the ass for it (relatively speaking).

yeah...some tranny fluids WILL work...but, i'd just use power steering fluid myself...and, thats BS that they charge extra to top off fluids...sounds like a scam...we top everything off for free where i work!!...

I've used dex3 in a power steering system a while back, never had any adverse effects. At the same time your PS fluid may need to be flushed. My '95's fluid smelled bad and was BLACK. Did a flush and no issues.

Well after my exams are over (Wednesday - Friday), I'm going on a skiing trip with my brother....4 hours each way....and I'm driving... I might borrow my mom's car but chances are I'm driving the CS...so hopefully whatever it is won't be a huge problem, but maybe on Friday afternoon I should flush my PS system? Whats involved? how's it done?

Thanks again,

YK

Buy a couple quarts of PS fluid. Use a turkey baster or other suctioning device to remove PS fluid from reservoir. Fill with new PS fluid out of bottle. Drive around for a day, repeat. Drive for another day, repeat. That should take care of most of the fluid.

PS fluid is cheap, we can get it here for less than $2/quart.

Nissans use dex 3 for p/s fluid. Maybe toyotas too. Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.

as for using a different trans fluid for the P/S. All fords since about 87 have used Type FA trans fluid in the P/S. I'm sure many things would work without adverse affects, but on a GM I'd use good ol' regular ass power steering fluid

Buy a couple quarts of PS fluid. Use a turkey baster or other suctioning device to remove PS fluid from reservoir. Fill with new PS fluid out of bottle. Drive around for a day, repeat. Drive for another day, repeat. That should take care of most of the fluid.

PS fluid is cheap, we can get it here for less than $2/quart.

Cool, thanks.

As for the turkey baster... I don't know how great the turkey will come out after doing that... :lol: but I do luckily have a huge farm-type suctioning thingy...can't remember what its called but its very useful for that type of thing...

Hopefully after i'm done stressing over exams I'll get this all done and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks!

YK

I've heard that you could, in a pinch, use straight 30w motor oil in the power steering system. PS fluid is petroleum based, btw.

definatly not... 30w is much too thick of oil to use... It would be better to use a hydrolic oil.... PS fluid and Tranny fluid are pretty much the same oil... tranny fluid has a seal sweal agent in there, also has the odvious red color...

DiscoStudd wrote:

I've heard that you could, in a pinch, use straight 30w motor oil in the power steering system. PS fluid is petroleum based, btw.

definatly not... 30w is much too thick of oil to use... It would be better to use a hydrolic oil.... PS fluid and Tranny fluid are pretty much the same oil... tranny fluid has a seal sweal agent in there, also has the odvious red color...

I work in the lab and can assure everyone this is pretty much true. PS Fluid and Tranny Fluid are both hydraulic fluids. There is a small amount of seal sweller and viscosity improver in the Tranny Fluid as well as some red dye. The PS Fluid is generally brown with no dye or additives.

I've always used Dexron in my PS systems without any problems.

Never ever put Motor Oil in there.

Actually I remember hearing about using the 30 weight oil as a pseudo "cure" for the "morning stiffness" that mid 80's FWD GM's had.

As far as flushing goes, definitely suck out all the old fluid from the reservoir (I use a squirt bottle, works great) and refill. Instead of repeating this several times, just disconnect the low pressure return hose from the reservoir (it's the one held on with a hose clamp) and stick it in a container large enough to catch a couple of quarts of fluid. Start the motor and continue to add new fluid into the reservoir as the old stuff is pumped out and into your container. After going through a few bottles of PS fluid, put the hose back on, top off the reservoir, and away you go...

..........Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.....

FYI: They also start to leak if non-Honda fluid is used.

..........Hondas use a special honda p/s fluid which is undoubtably more expensive, but they whine if you don't use it.....

FYI: They also start to leak if non-Honda fluid is used.

Sounds like Chryler's newest A604 model and their lovely ATF-4 fluid.. (or is it ATF-5?) Stuff's damn expensive, I know that much!

As far as flushing goes, definitely suck out all the old fluid from the reservoir (I use a squirt bottle, works great) and refill. Instead of repeating this several times, just disconnect the low pressure return hose from the reservoir (it's the one held on with a hose clamp) and stick it in a container large enough to catch a couple of quarts of fluid. Start the motor and continue to add new fluid into the reservoir as the old stuff is pumped out and into your container. After going through a few bottles of PS fluid, put the hose back on, top off the reservoir, and away you go...

actually I would recomend to disable the ignition system... pull the ign module plug... and just crank the eng over a little bit... a dry run pump can burn its seals up... then the howling comes around... Im not saying it cant be done that way its just easier on the pump ... it wouldnt take much cranking to get all the fluid out... :)