misc. thoughts..

supreme_style21

This has been on my mind for awhile.... When I go to buy a new(used) car, I always try to find an early 90's car with super low miles. Sales people laugh at me when I bring up my request, but its not impossible! I've got a '91 CS International with 50,000, a '90 Bonne with 25,000, '92 Lumina 36,000 miles, and a '94 Grand Prix with 30,000. I've had little weird problems with all 4 cars. People have told me 'Use it or lose it!,' thus explaining all the little problems. Has anyone noticed this with cars of this type? Little glitches like power options not working when they want to, lots (well a few) of parts (alternators, tierods, etc..) seem to just all bust at once. I'm really nice to my cars, so all I can figure is that the cars and everything just sit there for years, and now all of a sudden, they're being driven daily. Blah.. I don't know.. just a bunch of brain ramblings. Later!

beat this. my friend has an 89 mustang - 4 cyl - 5 speed - 18,000 miles. The fucking rareness of that should shoot the cars value up to $56,000....

PSH HAHAHAHAHAHA. well anyway its still a decent car. Old yet new at the same time

Yeah, my GFs v6 mustang she sold was owned by an old lady befor her. It had something like 19k on it when Deborah got it, but had been sitting for a few years, and it was a ford :puke:

jon

we've had the lex for 4 years and we've got 47,000KMs on it...i dunno how many miles that is but it's 1/2 of the regular so it seems.....the olds has around 70,000Miles on it (thank you digital dash) but i think that's decent for a 12 year old car

Yeah that 'stang is a keeper no doubt. I just don't get how I always have all the electrical glitches that I do. Is the 'use it or lose it' philosophy true in old low milage cars?

Well wiring if not used over long periods of time loses its conductivety due to moisture, an the environment. If your not going to run a car daily, i say start it up every 2 weeks for a bit so that way u have everything pumping through the car. The wiring is something i had experienced with a jeep wrangler which sat in the drive way for over 4 months an a wire i replaced got screwed during that period.

I used to have a 81 Corvette with 45k miles on it, but car has been sitting outside for about 7 years and engine (was seperated) wasnt started to about 2 years when i finally got the car everything started to break on it, 1st all the brake calipers started to leak, then all the hoses that were not changed, then i started to have all the weirdest electrical problems including electrical fires and then at the end head gasket gave up. So it not good to have a car and not start it for a long time.

Yeah, debs mustang she had the exhaust fell of, car cut off tons of times (think it was due to that possible ignition recall ford had, all that happened right when we sold it).

Even with those little miles on it too, the engine ran like crap

Jon

I used to be a mechanic at a small shop and one of our biggest customers was a friend of the owner that had a small car dealer. the cars seemed to break a lot all after siting for a month or two normaly the calipers would freeze and things like that. it also matters where you live and things like that. places like illinois where there is a lot of moister things like the switchs for the defroster and things that where not used a lot always seemed to go bad. as far as mileage my 3.4 has 114 g's on it and still fast as hell unless its a collector a car with low miles is sad I drive mine when ever i can and go through withdraw when I don't. a car with a lot of miles in my house is a car well loved but every one treats theirs a different way