How many TGPs are left??

samiamryan

I suppose I'll post here(since this may apply to others as well), on the TGP's of America page, I tried adding myself a few weeks back and again recently and it never did show up. Jim(idbeast), let me know if you received the info I submitted on the page, or if I need to PM you my info when you see this post.

BTW, I just emailed the guy from GA that's already listed. I'll post back if I get a reply.

EDIT: Just received a mail delivery failure, "addy unknown." :oops:

I suppose I'll post here(since this may apply to others as well), on the TGP's of America page, I tried adding myself a few weeks back and again recently and it never did show up. Jim(idbeast), let me know if you received the info I submitted on the page, or if I need to PM you my info when you see this post.

BTW, I just emailed the guy from GA that's already listed. I'll post back if I get a reply.

EDIT: Just received a mail delivery failure, "addy unknown." :oops:

I strongly believe that is going to be the case with such a board after a short time!!...â€Âowner unknownâ€Â, “email unknownâ€Â, “Car Sold†and etc. It sounds like a great idea and all, and I like the idea but the problem is owners sell, change their emails, web sites and such and never bother to update this info, so such a site will always be inaccurate in a short period of time. Just like so many web sites we have all been to looking at their Favorite Link Page only to find that half the Links don’t work anymore, it would be a lot of work to keep up on such a TGP Across America. I believe one of the benefits of such a TGP-AA would be for events, though you can post on a TGP Forum to those interested in a local area about a get-together. Other thing it would just be nice to see how many owners are in a particular state, though it will never give you an idea of how many TGP there are, I have a 4 year long list of TGPs that have been for sale on eBay with the VIN Numbers, pretty long list but far from total production. When I can ever get all these projects done and get a finished enough Show TGP or TSTE, I plan to take up the offer from the guys at McLaren to visit and look at their TGP/TSTE Folder for this project, hoping to get a final true count on how many were made. When I first called Pontiac Cares back in 1991 or 92 the girls told me over 3,000 for each year (actual number on a paper in the piles of info I have, anyways) and the typical 1,000 TSTEs. Then after Pontiac passed its History/Archives info off to a outside company their numbers are much different and sound odd with 9xx made in 1989 and over 3,000 made in 90 when I see so many more 1989 TGPs for sale/owned so still not sure with this info. The last thing I did was when I was in Michigan where the Car Gods live I had access to some unique production numbers data, and one of the facts I found interesting was the number of HUDs made in 1989 and 90, the count was the same as the TGPs made as quoted by the outside company now handling Pontiac History/Archives :? , go figure :lol: .

Jeff M

Yea i tried to add myself, but its been a week and its never shown up, i think Jeff M does it all, and he is busy, so that could be the reason

Thanks for the benifit of the doubt bud 8) Jim W/idbeast is my web master, he takes my info and makes it happen on the web site, though I have not had a chance to put all the info I have collected in the last 16 years :lol:, it is vast, maybe too intimidating and why I don't tackle it :oops: And i need to give credit that Waskie started up the TGP-AA ( :alcoholic: ) a few years back 8) . Jim works a number of different jobs, guys works him self too much but now that he is stuck home with a busted footie :cry: might have some time to play with things, if he wants.

Jeff M

ok, well, u can really call pontiac and ask that kind of stuff??? thats cool

Yea you could, but Pontiac passed that responsability and all such data to another company to handle. There was also the AC/Delco Girls, talked with them about the CD player in these cars, Alpine made some part of it not sure if the reader and drive unit or whatever, got the specs on the CD player but the amp used really whacks that sound potential of the CD unit from reaching the speakers :cry: .

Jeff M

Hmm, the Steering Wheel controls dont work with Aftermarket ones either, thats sucks, cant u just take the buttons out and put the normal cover like on the lower base grand prixs that dont have steering wheel controls? a bit off topic, sorry, so theres an Amp in the Stock CD players? or is there an amp in all cd players

Hmm, the Steering Wheel controls dont work with Aftermarket ones either, thats sucks, cant u just take the buttons out and put the normal cover like on the lower base grand prixs that dont have steering wheel controls? a bit off topic, sorry, so theres an Amp in the Stock CD players? or is there an amp in all cd players

I thought you could get an aftermarket control and they would work, there was on on the TGP Forums a while back I thought?

How about each one of us emails everyone in their own state. Get this updated? and the surrounding states?

I sent them the the two people on the TGP registry on JeffM's page, and one returned with a bad email address, the 2nd one replied, said his car had been wrecked and he didn't know what he was going to do with it. He never replied to my message I returned to him though?

Tell the guy with the wreck one to sell it on ebay. Hopefully that will keep him from taking it too the junk yard. Some will buy and fix if the damage is fixable.

If you can get the webmaster to remove the dead email one. Thats probably the best thing to do.

Keep up the good work! :D

Im working on the Dakotas and Montana! Having pretty good luck.

$70 for a steering wheel interface? I picked mine up on ClubGP's store for $50 a while back. It's a smooth little unit that works really well. I have my IR sensor mounted in the underside of the wiper switch pod. When I had my Pioneer reciever it worked really well, but I don't have a remote with my Alpine that I have now, so I can't program it.

As far as the stock CD players go, the CD mechanism is a Panasonic part I believe. Delco uses all sorts of brands to make up their radios, Alpine, Panasonic, Technics, Blaupunkt just to name a few.

JL Audio just unveiled a new little item for those of us who want to keep our factory look, but have a good aftermarket system behind it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

It's called the Clean Sweep, I recommend to read their page for all the information. It sounds like a hell of a unit, and I have been contemplating fixing my factory CD Deck and putting it back in. This makes me want to do it now, even though I'm sure that new piece from JL isn't going to be cheap. But for what it does, and the fact it gives you an auxiliary input to work with, I'd be game for it.

$70 for a steering wheel interface? I picked mine up on ClubGP's store for $50 a while back. It's a smooth little unit that works really well. I have my IR sensor mounted in the underside of the wiper switch pod. When I had my Pioneer reciever it worked really well, but I don't have a remote with my Alpine that I have now, so I can't program it.

As far as the stock CD players go, the CD mechanism is a Panasonic part I believe. Delco uses all sorts of brands to make up their radios, Alpine, Panasonic, Technics, Blaupunkt just to name a few.

JL Audio just unveiled a new little item for those of us who want to keep our factory look, but have a good aftermarket system behind it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

It's called the Clean Sweep, I recommend to read their page for all the information. It sounds like a hell of a unit, and I have been contemplating fixing my factory CD Deck and putting it back in. This makes me want to do it now, even though I'm sure that new piece from JL isn't going to be cheap. But for what it does, and the fact it gives you an auxiliary input to work with, I'd be game for it.

That JL Audio thing is rather interesting indeed, and yes would definitely be something worth looking into for the guys going for the stock look. My problem is that I'm an MP3 nazi now, and all of our daily driven vehicles now have on in it, and its definitely a lot nicer and the reduces the risk of stolen CDs by tons which is what I'm afraid of more than anything.

The CleanSweap is definitely a nice looking piece though, top of the line companies make top of the line, new age technology though, so what can you expect right :)

Thanks Luke for the expanded info on the suppliers for audio units in GM cars, always good to hear more info, I guess it probably ended up being who ever was low-bidder at the time and that sure sounds like GM. I can add to that JL piece, Speaker to Line Level Converters like this JL unit have been around for years but they had problems, though it sounds :lol: like some are addressed with this new JL killer converter, and that is great to hear!! The only problems left so far are you can only clean up so much of the source signal coming from the OEM system! You can’t correct for the source signal’s distortion figurers (which can be hefty from an OEM piece) and can include Signal to Noise Ratio-S/N Ratio, Intermodulation Distortion-IM (the worst and what most manufacturers don’t quote!), Switching Distortion of the amp’s power whether they are good Class A (not likely) or A-B or whatever, Excess Noise (generic for a lot of things) from the source Digital to Analog Conversion of the CD/MP3 whatever, and the generic Total Harmonic Distortion-THD to mention a few and keep it simple here. Then there is Dynamic Range, Stereo Separation and others that are hard to massage/correct for in an after-box such as the JL, though they have frequency response tailoring, there is only so much you can pull out of the source signal without at least bringing in more of the other problems such as the distortion figures mentioned above. I like the efforts but like so many out there these days with everything we buy, only a small sample of what they can and will do after we give them huge amounts of profit up front from buying their basic units for years! There is also something that has been around for almost as long as these converters and that is an FM Modulator Adaptor, that allows you to add another/aftermarket source to your OEM unit like a CD Changer (that I did to my first/new TGP). These work nice and I could even tell the higher quality sound of the Alpine CD Changer over the OEM head-unit’s CD player but still, the CD Changer’s signal is limited by the FM portion it is being sent through in the OEM unit. It all ends up the same, how much do you want to spend to sound good or go fast! I too have had the PAC/Pacific Accessory Corporation Unit (older model SWI-5) to convert an aftermarket to provide control from the steering wheel pad, works slick, and one of the super-nerd electronic guys that lives here showed me an upgrade to the transmitter infrared LED so you can mount it even more out of the way though mounting it (stealthy 8) !!!) aside the wiper assembly is a new slick idea we had not thought of, nice :thumbsup:

Jeff M

How about each one of us emails everyone in their own state. Get this updated? and the surrounding states?

I sent them the the two people on the TGP registry on JeffM's page, and one returned with a bad email address, the 2nd one replied, said his car had been wrecked and he didn't know what he was going to do with it. He never replied to my message I returned to him though?

Tell the guy with the wreck one to sell it on ebay. Hopefully that will keep him from taking it too the junk yard. Some will buy and fix if the damage is fixable.

If you can get the webmaster to remove the dead email one. Thats probably the best thing to do.

Keep up the good work! :D

Im working on the Dakotas and Montana! Having pretty good luck.

That would be me, (webmaster) But I need to know the emial or the user name

When you do look into that folder Jeff..be sure to photocopy us a copy :wink: .

http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/1016

The SWI-x is the new trasmmiter. This one is even sicker.

I know how to put a head phone input jack on a delco radio just like the newer delco cd players have on the astrovans. I've done this on my dads old caddy to play cds via head phone jack when I coun't afford a radio trasmitter (was still in middle school 8) .). Though it required a switchable jack. Sounded ok.

But a radio trasnmitter would be good for an mp3 player. MP3 sound quality isn't as good as a cd so theres hardly an quality lost there (128 bitrate and lower).

Yea, the SWI-X is what I have.

I remember reading about adding an input to old Delco cassette decks. It basically involved adding a small relay, and a switch, finding the audio output wires for the cassette mechanism and splicing them. The relay acted as a switcher between the cassette, and the external input, and it was all activated by a switch mounted wherever. Flick the switch, it would switch the relay to the external input, feeding the audio directly in to the radio, flick it back to listen to a cassette.