Will this fit? Help!

OldsmoBeast

Okay, here's the scoop...for anyone who hasn't yet read my other post, I've been thinking about trying to be the 1st 1997 CS with a HUD in it...I'm pretty sure it still hasn't been done on a 95-97, unless someone's done it and been silent about it. Since I'm not too keen on cutting holes in my perfectly perfect Cutlass interior, my next best thing would be to grab the entire dash off a 94 GTP (Same one I got my leather seats out of). Since I'm hard strapped for cash, I'd better get this bastard planned out FIRST, because I can't buy it and try it. Plus I'd have to pull it myself from under a broken windsheild, so it better be worth it. This GTP was equipped with an HUD and a DIC and they're both in perfect shape, and I'd make sure to get both (i'd sell the DIC of course, and get a 96) as well as the speedo and all the wiring/harnesses.

Now for the questions:

1- Would this physically fit into my cutlass? They seem to be the same shape...

2- If I swapped the entire thing, would it be too hard to wire up? is there a chance in hell it could be plug and play? (I don't mind a little wiring)

3- How hard would it be to yank an entire dash? I still haven't consulted my manual about it, but I've done what seemed like bigger projects.

4- Any other issues?

Thank you very much for your input

YK

I'll chime in with my thoughts as the owner of a 95 GP and 95 Regal. Looking at the dash pads of each, they're very similar, but since the Regal doesn't have the space for the Trip Computer, the dash pad curves down more on the left side. The GP's pad lays more or less flat in that area due to the extra space for the TC. I can only guess that the GP dash pad wouldn't fit perfectly on the Regal. Reason I bring this up is because the Cutty's upper dash pad appears to be identical to the Regal's, therfore not the same as the GP.

The only way around this easily would be to pick up an extra Cutty dash pad and a complete GP HUD dash pad (which is 2 pieces.) Use the extra Cutty pad to hack up and cut out the area for the front (firewall side) half of the GP dash pad to fit into. I would try to see if you could integrate the HUD mounting points into the Cutty dash pad...

Just my $.02 as it was something I pondered when I thought of installing a HUD in my Reeg...

Does that mean that the airbag thing is part of that dash too? becase the airbag on that car has been deployed...obviously the one on my car hasn't. Does that make a difference?

the air bag can be remove from the car dash

Yes, but doesn't it break through part of the dash?

No, it does not. It has a cover over it. It doesn't "break" the dash, the cover simply hinges up and out comes the bag.

the air bag can be remove from the car dash

Yes, but doesn't it break through part of the dash?

Actually, no. It's just a door that pops open and the airbag deploys from underneath...

I'll chime in with this again. The 1995 Cutlass Supreme shows a HUD in both the owners manual and the service manuals. I still think there is possibly a HUD plug SOMEWHERE in the '95 CS. I haven't been able to dig through one to find out. If the harness is there, half the task is done.

As far as the dashes, you just may be able to use the HUD dashpad from a Grand Prix. I was looking at a buddy's CS and (from memory) it looked like one would pop in with little modification.

Cool. My CS is a '97, so I'm REALLY doubtful I'm going to find a harness for an HUD...I'll still look, but I really just doubt it. Anyway...I think I'm going to go ahead on this, but i just have to scrape together the dough to buy that dash...prolly try to get the ENTIRE thing, with the HUD, DIC and Cluster...just in case.

Thanks everyone, and keep em coming!

YK

Cool. My CS is a '97, so I'm REALLY doubtful I'm going to find a harness for an HUD...I'll still look, but I really just doubt it. Anyway...I think I'm going to go ahead on this, but i just have to scrape together the dough to buy that dash...prolly try to get the ENTIRE thing, with the HUD, DIC and Cluster...just in case.

YK

The cluster is identical.

No.. the '97 wouldn't have it. 1995 would be the ONLY year, if any. And more than likely very early production at that. It looks like Oldsmobile was going to include the HUD in the Cutlass Supreme, but, for some reason, scrapped it at the very last second. I don't know WHEN the owners manuals and service manuals are printed, but both include information on the HUD.. ONLY for 1995 though.

YK

The cluster is identical.

They're SLIGHTLY different...Overlays are made for the GP cluster 8)

No.. the '97 wouldn't have it. 1995 would be the ONLY year, if any. And more than likely very early production at that. It looks like Oldsmobile was going to include the HUD in the Cutlass Supreme, but, for some reason, scrapped it at the very last second. I don't know WHEN the owners manuals and service manuals are printed, but both include information on the HUD.. ONLY for 1995 though.

dumbasses....it was such a good feature.

there's a cover near the windshield that pops out. all the bolts for the the top are under it. then there are two bolts near the door frame for the bottom. then you have to go through the entire under dash area and unbolt the crossbrace and a million other things... but the top and bottom are easy :D . oh and on a side note i'm putting a 94 gp hud into my 97 cutlass dash pad. not entirley the same, but related