''

Invasion1

theres a switch on the column or on the trans at the cable for the reverse lights, i dont remember which ones do which.

the turn signal switch is a parts store item unless you want the dealer to bend you over the counter.

Chances are you need a new neutral saftey switch, the one on the tranny. The power for the reverse lights and sometimes the power trunk goe through that switch.(prevents the trunk from being opened when in gear) Check the connector for corrosion and/or burned terminals, if it looks fine, check powe/ground to and from switch, should narrow it down.

Chances are you need a new neutral saftey switch, the one on the tranny. The power for the reverse lights and sometimes the power trunk goe through that switch.(prevents the trunk from being opened when in gear) Check the connector for corrosion and/or burned terminals, if it looks fine, check powe/ground to and from switch, should narrow it down.

It's a 5-speed so there is no neutral safety switch or that other crap. There are 2 pieces of electronics on the 282. 1) the reverse light switch which is on the top front drivers side of the trans. by the shift linkage 2) the speed sensor above where the pass. side intermediate shaft bolts to the trans.

well here is the exact problem....

both Signals Right and Left have the same problem

if you flick the signal lever ether for the left or right nothing happens when the lever is in the position where its supose to be causing the signal light to flash....

if you pull the Signal Lever a bit towards the driver and its still in the position where it should be flashing and hold it there it functions properly...

but stops when you let go of pulling it towards you

both directions have this problem......

so for the last week i have been signaling normal but i have to hole the lever a bit toward the driver and can't let go.....

tomorow will be fix day......

Yup. Bend the metal contact fingers and clean everything metal really good. That fixed it 100% for me.

Guest TurboSedan

replacing the switch itself did not look easy to me. from the looks of it i would have had to cut & splice alot of wires. i ended up buying an entire steering column from a junkyard '93 Lumina and that fixed my turn signal switch problem :wink: it also came from a car with floor shift so i no longer have that column shifter stub sticking out of it.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!

Needed a new Switch....................... :?

Car is Certified and on the Road!!!!!!!!!

Smoked a Dodge SX 2.0 on the way home............ :D

Damn. Sorry I couldn't help ya! You didn't pay $80 for a new one, did you??

Contrary to what everyone says it is really easy to change that switch and you do not have to cut any wires. All you have to do is feed the connector up through the the column ,also the dinger for the key is in that harness so you will have to get access to remove it aswell unless you want to cut and splice. I took the one from my non-tilt column (which was brand new) and swapped it into the old tilt column from the Z. No real differences between either column. Easy as hell I was suprised considdering eveyone said it was a biatch to do.

ya it was more a PITA than a hard project........

need a wheel puller and feeding those wires threw the small column..

works 100%

:D

I didn't even use a wheel puller when I did the fucker. Just pulled the Goddamn thing off :wink:

ya it was more a PITA than a hard project........

need a wheel puller and feeding those wires threw the small column..

works 100%

:D

I didn't even use a wheel puller when I did the fucker. Just pulled the Goddamn thing off :wink:

:lol2:

It's not that hard! The first time I did it, it was because I was tired of the turn signals not working, and didn't have the money for a puller. I braced my legs between the floor and the bottom of the wheel.

I did it on my Cavvy, too, when I put the Z34 wheel on. I was in the parking lot of the junkyard, no less!