Exhaust

Beretta

I'm running 2.5" pipe, gutted cat and no mufflers on Sunshine. The auto is stock, no cat, stock mufflers. Sunshine was just done at a local shop. By NO MEANS, mandrel bent. Just throw it together kind of stuff. I'm dropping the exhaust from the red TGP, and mocking up my own exhaust from it.

The Beretta has a 2.25" (orginally for a 3100) mandrel bent full exhaust with a high flow cat (Xtreme Flow) and straight through muffler (Dynomax Ultraflo). I plan upgrading to 2.5" pipe as I now have a 3400. Judging from my time on the dyno it made roughly 6-7 whp.....thats more than you can gain from an intake or UDP.

The Grand Prix will get a 3" downpipe and intermedite pipe....from there it will get split two a pair of 2.5" pipes following the stock routing to a pair of Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers....as its being turbocharged.

Yes, I do like my Dynomax Ultraflo.........straight through so it flows well......and its QUIET.

For these mid displacement N/A V6 motors go with either 2.25" or 2.5" pipe.....just as long as its mandrel bent with a high flow cat (yes use one, its the law....and doesn't hinder performance that much....you might loose like a horsepower at high rpm) and a straight through muffler. Do not buy anything chambered. Some idiot on MyMonte one day tried convincing everyone that chambered mufflers flowed well.......he even posted a picture of a cut-away view and stated, "How doe this NOT flow well?" Yes, he was that big of an idiot.

Lets say you have a turbo car......well....bigger is better then........turbochargers HATE back pressure of any form. A larger exhaust pipe also allows you to dump more heat into the turbine too.

Guest TurboSedan

i have a complete 2.5" mandrel bent JRB exhaust system with no cat, and a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo welded/oval muffler on my Turbo GTS and it works & sounds great. my entire exhaust system is 2.5" mandrel bent from turbine to tailpipe. my brother has the same system on his cars but is using 3" mandrel bent pipe and 3" Ultraflo. they all sound very nice! aggressive, and still quiet.

i will be using 2.5" mandrel bent pipe with no cat and a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo muffler on my Cutlass once i have my TGP engine in the car. i'm not going to bother splitting it....splitting the exhaust would only be for looks anyway and would cost more....i'd rather have big single outlet than fake duals anyway. i might try 3" instead if it looks like i have enough clearance.

I've got a Carsound/magnaflow high-flow cat and a universal ss resonator on my TGP with ss 2.5'' piping(no "mufflers"). You would be surprised at how quiet my car is with this setup. The TGP has a deep idle and then a very low/nice sounding growl during light acceleration. At full throttle, the exhaust is quiet outside the car although you can still hear it fairly well inside..the turbo is louder then anything. 8)

Is there an easy swap of mufflers? I'm looking under the car and I see u-bolts clamping, holding the muffler to the underpipes and exhaust tips. My question:

Has any TGP owners purchased a muffler to swap without any modifications?

I cant afford to have a shop install. I've been shopping the jegs catalog for mufflers.

The entry to the muffler is offset to the left on both and exit the center.

I want to maintain the stock plumbing and look with the exhaust tips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Well go out and measure you're mufflers, and look for one the same length. Most catalogs will give the muffler dimensions, so that shouldn't be that hard. Then buy 2 offset in center out.

Area of a circle = pi * r^2

pi * 1.5 in ^2 = 7.06 sq in.

(pi * 1.25 in ^2) * 2 = 9.82 sq in.

You have an increase of cross sectional area of 28%.

yes those numbers would lead you to believe otherwise...trust me on this tho 3'' will outflow dual 2.5''...one example why would they make single 3'' outlet systems for a stock dual outlet car? 3000gt/stealth...i know thats not hard evidence but its a pretty good indicator...if you dont trust me hook it up to a flow bench or somethin of that order or dyno with single 3'' and dual 2.5''

yes those numbers would lead you to believe otherwise...trust me on this tho 3'' will outflow dual 2.5''...one example why would they make single 3'' outlet systems for a stock dual outlet car? 3000gt/stealth...i know thats not hard evidence but its a pretty good indicator...if you dont trust me hook it up to a flow bench or somethin of that order or dyno with single 3'' and dual 2.5''

Why's is that? The Y-pipe???

ya know im not really sure why i wish i had harder evidence for everyone...i will try to see what i can find...ive always been told this all along by my superiors who have built a bunch more cars than me and been around performance a lot longer. i guess i never really asked why...ive even heard this on the likes of horsepower tv and trucks if thats any consolation as they dont make a habit of telling bullshit on those programs

I guess I can understand because it's one pipe for the air to travel through, and not two. Also, theres the resistance from the y-pipe in which the 3" pipe doesn't have. Also, i bet that theres too much *room* in the dual 2.5"'s than the single 3".

The best setup for a TGP is no mufler. Belive me when I say that the turbo quiets down the exhust already. But if you must...straight through mufflers work well. Those chambered mufflers (IE..Flowmasters) are good for N/A cars. Espeacialy if its heavily camed. Why...because of recursion. Its harder for recursion to happen on a chambered muffler. The Dual setup helps quiet down the noise of a single pipe exhaust. It looks cool..but it does hinder perfomance. Ever seen a dual setup on a FWD gm car on a cold day..or any single pipe to dual seup. One pipe will fog more than the other. Actually...if you blow flour across the pipe that doen't fog...you will see the flour beeing sucked in.Yes recursion. It would be better if the TGP had a single 2.5" pipe all the way to the back. Or 2.5 then step to 3in.

There's not enough room under a W-Body to run split pipes. People split the 2.5" pipe in the back to run dual tips. Just like a F-Body exhaust.

well actually, the exhaust on an f-body runs single all the way back into the muffler, the muffler has dual outlets. so no, the pipe isnt split on an f-body exhaust

• 1 month later...

I ran 3" straight back on my '93 Stealth TT, and then I ran a new system with 3" back to by the rear axle and split to 2x2.5" and I picked up 4hp on the dyno. No muff's either time. Same result on the TGP, only I gained 2hp because it sint pulling aywhere near the Stealths 635whp.

I would think if you had a twin turbo..you would have two pipes. Oh well. Has anyone really fit 3in alll the way to the back? Im planning on dumping it to the ground before the rear suspension.