Why Dex Cool?

allenGP

Huh?

Ive seen people mix 50/50 with water and that causes a bunch of problems. But with Dex, I've seen it turn brown rather quickly. Not sure if that's car specific but it's something to point out.

I used to use dexcool in my 99 Grand Prix and never had any issues. As long as you maintain it, it will be fine. That means no air in the system and changing it routinely. I have since swapped to Peak coolant that is green that mixes with all colors. I have not had any issues with it.

Ive seen people mix 50/50 with water and that causes a bunch of problems.

It's not the water. If there's any truth to this, it would have to be impurities in the water causing the problems, not the water itself. At any rate, it's a non-issue when mixed with distilled water--which is what a person should be using to begin with.

Buying 50/50 premixed antifreeze of any brand or specification is a waste of money. You're paying almost the same dollar amount for a half-gallon of anti-freeze plus a half-gallon of water as I pay for a full gallon of concentrated anti-freeze. A gallon of distilled water is--what--about fifty cents?

But with Dex, I've seen it turn brown rather quickly. Not sure if that's car specific but it's something to point out.

Any and all antifreeze will turn brown when poured into a rusty, improperly-maintained cooling system. Dex-cool is nothing special in that regard.