Should i be worried about this ta mount rust

mycarsucks

Im putting a $250 junkyard motor in my prix and wondering if its worth it with this rust or should i just junk it. Reason it looks muddy is because i put fluid film on it last fallIMG_8237.jpeg.e74fed998fdf1f54519527c9d0442414.jpeg

They ain't making those cars any more.  Maybe you can weld-in a repair?  And verify the other side, too.

Listen, i'm an idiot. I'm presently putting a new transmission in my 375k daily driver.

If the underside looked like that I wouldn't be.

Anything is fixable, but that's a pretty complex area and a critical one at that. I can see that the rocker and quarter is made of thin air and the metal around the mount isn't that much better.

I know used car prices are out to lunch not but not sure I would put the effort in based on what you're telling us.

Then again if you've already bought the engine do the minimum to get the car up and running and scrap it after it finishes breaking. 

Posted (edited)

Other side is perfect i tested it with a hammer. I also tested the one in tge pictures and it was solid everywhere outside of that little hole. It held a jack.. how bad do these get before they fail? I dont want to junk it bc the floors and fuel/brake lines are perfect

Edited by mycarsucks

I mean its like any corrosion related failure, its good till its not. Can't actually say it might be good till you hit a pothole wrong and then its game over. Might go 2 years might go 2 weeks.

• Like 1

well if I can get a few more years out of it then its worth $250 to me. It had new tires, front wheel bearings, tie rods, and ball joints before the motor blew up. Intake gaskets were also done a few weeks prior. Trans shifts perfect

the ta mount doesn't seem like its structurally compromised at all as Ive hit lots of potholes with it and the ball joints went out before the TA mount did lol. 

If I cut out around that rust hole could I get a little plate of steel and pop rivet it in to buy me a little more time? that's the only rusty part on the whole mount, or could I pull up the carpet and pop rivet into the mount from the top to keep it secured to the floorpan? 

Does anyone here have experience welding in a new section on these cars I dont have a lift and want to know if its possible on jackstands while laying under the car. 

48 minutes ago, mycarsucks said:

Does anyone here have experience welding in a new section on these cars I dont have a lift and want to know if its possible on jackstands while laying under the car. 

Are the pinch welds good on that section in front of the rear wheels?  That's actually the place GM says to use as a support point.

1466416591_20200523_1529581.jpg.18e74ef973bd895cea2625de3e16d1fb.jpg1728264135_20200523_1530181.jpg.b99d73a2f433fcd2188708753c774d2e.jpg

13 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Are the pinch welds good on that section in front of the rear wheels?  That's actually the place GM says to use as a support point.

1466416591_20200523_1529581.jpg.18e74ef973bd895cea2625de3e16d1fb.jpg1728264135_20200523_1530181.jpg.b99d73a2f433fcd2188708753c774d2e.jpg

Yes they are solid but the rocker attached to it is toast i might just drive it up on ramps because I have to align the wheel as well when making the ta mount. I think im gonna make some new rockers & dog leg area for it too while im under there. Is it easier to just weld and bolt a thick plate into the floor and put another plate on the top and then bolt a 2nd gen mount into that or is it easier to make all custom.

1 hour ago, mycarsucks said:

Yes they are solid but the rocker attached to it is toast i might just drive it up on ramps because I have to align the wheel as well when making the ta mount. I think im gonna make some new rockers & dog leg area for it too while im under there. Is it easier to just weld and bolt a thick plate into the floor and put another plate on the top and then bolt a 2nd gen mount into that or is it easier to make all custom.

Just so you know, I believe when these cars were assembled, GM sandwiched that mount and plate area between the floor pan and that box section.  I almost wonder if the entire rear section of the interior would need to come out for a replacement or patch panel.  In other words, I wonder if that structural area was dropped from the inside of the cars interior and then welded in.

Edited by jiggity76

6 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Just so you know, I believe when these cars were assembled, GM sandwiched that mount and plate area between the floor pan and that box section.  I almost wonder if the entire rear section of the interior would need to come out for a replacement or patch panel.  In other words, I wonder if that structural area was dropped from the inside of the cars interior and then welded in.

well I dont see why the whole thing would have to come out if the floor is solid. Looking thru the hole in the mount with a flashlight the upper floor looks to still have paint on it! Its just the unibody "box" or channel that is rusted out. 

2 minutes ago, mycarsucks said:

well I dont see why the whole thing would have to come out if the floor is solid. Looking thru the hole in the mount with a flashlight the upper floor looks to still have paint on it! Its just the unibody "box" or channel that is rusted out. 

Yeah, I know.  Your pics of that area didn't look that bad really.  I was just ranting.

I've seen worse on these cars. Usually the trailing arm it self gives way before the mount separates from the rest of the car. I've seen people driving these with broken TA mounts and arms. Just keep up with the fluid film that will slow the rust down. Don't try to paint it, the paint will just trap the rust and it will grow under the paint.