Z34 steering sensor.

jiggity76

Does anyone know if the 91-93 Z34's uses a speed sensor mounted on the steering racks?  I know the GP and Cutlass did.  It's part # 10096157/10204102 if they used them.  Thank you.

GENUINE GM OEM 10096157 Steering Pressure Sensor BUICK,CADILLAC,CHEVROLET,GMC - Picture 1 of 4

Edited by jiggity76

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

Does anyone know if the 91-93 Z34's used a speed sensor mounted on the steering racks?  I know the GP's and Cutlass did.  It basically adjust the steering feel when going thru a parking lot and then tightens up when on the highway or Interstate.  It's part # 10096157/10204102 if they used them.  Thank you.

GENUINE GM OEM 10096157 Steering Pressure Sensor BUICK,CADILLAC,CHEVROLET,GMC - Picture 1 of 4

*It basically adjust the steering feel when going thru a parking lot and then tightens up when on the highway or Interstate*.

almost......lol, not  quite....

the sensor is there to 1. disengage the a/c .... 2. send a signal to the ecm to raise the engine rpm when the vehicle speed is so slow that the engine rpm is to low to adequately assist the needed power steering pressure.

When the pressure in the system drops to a pre determined pressure that switch opens, the ecm *sees* that & raises the engine rpm to increase the pump rpm & power steering pressure.

The sensor is referred to as Idle Speed Power Steering Pressure Switch

3 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

*It basically adjust the steering feel when going thru a parking lot and then tightens up when on the highway or Interstate*.

almost......lol, not  quite....

the sensor is there to 1. disengage the a/c .... 2. send a signal to the ecm to raise the engine rpm when the vehicle speed is so slow that the engine rpm is to low to adequately assist the needed power steering pressure.

When the pressure in the system drops to a pre determined pressure that switch opens, the ecm *sees* that & raises the engine rpm to increase the pump rpm & power steering pressure.

The sensor is referred to as Idle Speed Power Steering Pressure Switch

Gotcha.  Thank you for the accurate description.  I was just making a guess.

So...the Z34's do use this sensor as well then?

36 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Gotcha.  Thank you for the accurate description.  I was just making a guess.

So...the Z34's do use this sensor as well then?

yes indeed...