Head Gasket material 3100 v6?

GranPrix

Do 3100 v6s have metal head gaskets? i am replacing the LIM gaskets on my 95 grand prix se and was wondering if I should replace head gaskets as well as a preventative? Do the head gaskets on early 3100s have common issues? I read that the heads tend to warp when overheated (my car was never overheated) but is the gasket itself a multilayered metal gasket? I would assume it is because the bolts are TTY, but I have no idea and cant find any other posts stating what type of gasket it is.

No, they're more of whatever a traditional head gasket is made of.

Its not a large problem generally speaking but it can happen If it were me I'd probably not bother if there's no reason to suspect that they might be going bad

The head gaskets do not typically have issues on these engines but I would change out the timing cover gasket as preventative before those. But Ive also changed out the head gaskets just because the engine was apart already without having them planed. Did it by the book with a good torque wrench and havent had any problems since then, well head gasket related anyways.

Edited by rich_e777

I ended up just doing the LIM gaskets. It didnt have original GM gaskets in it and they looked pretty old. I looked up the number on the intake gaskets and found out its a company that went out of business in 2009. I know that in the early 2000’s people commonly took blown intake gaskets and thought they were head gaskets. So its a good chance that they were replaced with the intake gaskets. I found out the head gaskets are made out of graphite which is the same thing the 3800s are made out of. Car only has 186,000 miles on it which is low for ‘95 so Im not too worried about it allthough I put on 1k miles a week on my commute.

On a side note, I think I might have scratched /goudged the intake gasket surface while cleaning it off with a razor blade. Are the fel pro gaskets soft enough to fill in the scratches? Its scratched around the coolant port

On 3/29/2024 at 9:23 PM, GranPrix said:

I would assume it is because the bolts are TTY

ARE they Torque-To-Yield bolts?  The head bolts on my '92 and '93 3.4L DOHC engines are torque-angle but not TTY.  GM says they can be reused if not otherwise damaged--visibly necked-down, corroded, damaged threads, etc.