TGP hood vent repair.

rich_e777

I found one of the hood vents on the rescued TGP was broken in a few places and decided to attempt a repair rather than scour up some. 

Using the Bondo flexible bumper repair kit found at any auto part stores or WalMart I was able to re attach the provisions for the bolts and where it had been cracked all the way through. Now I`m ready for paint but I went to prime it and the can went bad. I found a few small knicks in it after that I went ahead and filled so maybe a good thing. 

Before I get into repainting should I strip off the existing clear coat and paint on the good areas or just scuff it up with sandpaper? Or rather how would you guys that know what you`re doing fix a damaged hood vent?

20231231-152731.jpg

20231231-152751.jpg

Edited by rich_e777
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Turned out as a high B+ job, there is still a small spot only someone anal would notice. Rattle can Dupli-color matched up pretty good over several coats of a new to me primer and filler. Here's a comparison pic after the paint dried but before the clear coat

20240224-182314.jpg

• Like 3

Do not use the flexible bumper repair stuff, it doesnt hold at all. As soon as I screwed the vent back down it all seperated and I could peel the urethane off clean. So now I`m going to strip it and try again, might do the other just to be sure they match.

I used Gorilla glue gel to re-attach the unobtanium and ran a mounting screw down the glued on provision and it all held very nice. Let it cure for 24 hours.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Do not use the flexible bumper repair stuff, it doesnt hold at all. As soon as I screwed the vent back down it all seperated and I could peel the urethane off clean. So now I`m going to strip it and try again, might do the other just to be sure they match.

I used Gorilla glue gel to re-attach the unobtanium and ran a mounting screw down the glued on provision and it all held very nice. Let it cure for 24 hours.

My personal choice for cracked urethane plastic repairs or the like is Norton's Speedgrip Structural urethane adhesive, it's on the expensive side but it works well.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to fix the hood vents on my Grand Prix but one of the problems is a couple posts have broken and I'm not entirely sure how to fix that.

On 3/5/2024 at 8:00 PM, rich_e777 said:

I have a very similar issues on my jet ski, with metal screws and plastic mounts. I slammed into a wave pretty hard and broke the tabs. Luckily I was able to get the hood vent cover out of the lake. Looks like I know what to use for the repair now. 

On 3/21/2024 at 10:19 AM, Amanita said:

I need to fix the hood vents on my Grand Prix but one of the problems is a couple posts have broken and I'm not entirely sure how to fix that.

Can you still match the posts up from where they were broken from? The one post I reglued held the screw ok so far but Ive not put the vent back on yet.

I think I`m going to need a media blaster to strip the vent from what I did the first time. I used several coats of clear coat that even when scuffed up didnt like the new primer and it left lightning bolt patterns all over it.  

Is there any sort of chemical that could be used without damaging the plastic?

2 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Can you still match the posts up from where they were broken from? The one post I reglued held the screw ok so far but Ive not put the vent back on yet.

I think I`m going to need a media blaster to strip the vent from what I did the first time. I used several coats of clear coat that even when scuffed up didnt like the new primer and it left lightning bolt patterns all over it.  

Is there any sort of chemical that could be used without damaging the plastic?

I don't know if I would use a media blaster on those vents. That could damage them. When I had my 1st gen GP and I added some vents. I took them to a shop that specializes in corvettes. They were able to repair them. I had a few broken mount points and a cracks. Plastics can be tricky to paint. 

I would try a product like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-Lift-Off-TESF542143-Plastics/dp/B000BQSKQE/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.D26tQF1wV1qdtPU_fCc6S1cn9VBRfVsiKvTkIvtLwO9Xj7KES-1xXQxJ47Qq9lgH1ugikOWGfMueBW5LLxjLesyeN_NSvIv7HVASJKH7TeneFQvPTkj1Xc_Kce2XXeGcm59pzmpIDTG6SzAY6cy2gwWUDI5E3v6v3644kHnJiOR8TK7U8zbG5TwaNg_efrjf9nQocukymTJAwYQnMmLw9yzk1V0c6XBz0e4w9LdMYIHpS-FXEf3ERYySGoZ2Vc5M7rTt9zgP_uWqfwzXC_vpF0ttHWBVNKVtMINh4rRZl4U.xETHwFlqmrxsYAfmsAfwXOaFbWvaTM5EgMQJmR4OmAU&dib_tag=se&keywords=paint+remover+for+plastic&qid=1711146143&sr=8-5

Try a test spot and hopefully it's not too aggressive with the vent. 

The clear coat left a lightning bolt pattern? Could have just been the clear coat reacting weird to the base layers of paint. I've had it happen and it sucks. 

I knew I read about the Corvette people and hood vents from somewhere. 

The clear coat didnt make the pattern it was the new coat of primer on top of the scuffed up clear coat. I was thinking a media blaster using some "softer" stuff like baking soda would be enough to remove it evenly. Or just make a week long project out of doing it by hand a few square inches a night with sand paper.

While their off I had the idea to see if CS vents fit, I`ll dig them out and see. I also have a set of Daytona vents I forgot I had, only have one drip pan for it though. 

• Like 1