Pics of a cutlass

rcLord510

I managed to get some pictures while it was out tonight of my dads 91 cutlass supreme international series, if any old members remember this car, this was and still is eclipse5302s car

IMG_1716.png.e1c761f4beda06c539f19af2f3ee1c81.pngIMG_1713.jpeg.478d112055dc2ad16d1f035bda50dcd1.jpegIMG_1710.jpeg.1911151894c37be451a40cc146a1479c.jpegIMG_1717.png.b6ed8908f7a734a535abe5b12a11dcb9.png

Edited by Cutlasslover18

On 8/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, jiggity76 said:

Same car?

On 8/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, jiggity76 said:

Same car?

Yep, probably 20 years since you guys have seen it, also edit, just thought about this, I believe that the vids on his channel are before it was turboed, so it still had the stock m90, but I'm guessing he put a smaller pully on, i know he did some stuff to the engine before he put it in but I don't think it was anything super special, just goes to show its not super hard to make pretty good power with L67s(I know you guys on here know that but I am just getting into w bodys now that I will be needing a car soon, I'm finding out that my "dream cars" aren't very far out of reach

Edited by Cutlasslover18
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

I remember watching that video back in the day. It made me really want a L67. 

Yeah they are great motors that make decent power very easily, I don’t thing he struggled too too much with the swap, I’m sure it wasn’t super easy, but it’s a front wheel drive v6 going into a car that had a front wheel drive v6, so I think the fundamentals are the same

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Yeah they are great motors that make decent power very easily, I don’t thing he struggled too too much with the swap, I’m sure it wasn’t super easy, but it’s a front wheel drive v6 going into a car that had a front wheel drive v6, so I think the fundamentals are the same

The entire obd 1 and 2 is probably the most confusing part. I know back in the day there used to be a lot of info on how to do that. It was a very common swap. 

I just bought a 2000 GTP and modded it. Those CS internationals are my favorite w-body. Nearly impossible to find these days. They are still out there. 

Edited by 94 olds vert
  • Like 2

Not sure how to take this :lol: I remember that video and car from back in the day.

Guess it means I've been here awhile if the owners kids are posing about the cars now.

Either way welcome, cool to see that car is still out there.

54 minutes ago, White93z34 said:

Not sure how to take this :lol: I remember that video and car from back in the day.

Guess it means I've been here awhile if the owners kids are posing about the cars now.

Yeah just wanted to give an update to the car if any old members remembered it, and thanks for the welcome!

1 hour ago, 94 olds vert said:

The entire obd 1 and 2 is probably the most confusing part. I know back in the day there used to be a lot of info on how to do that. It was a very common swap. 

I just bought a 2000 GTP and modded it. Those CS internationals are my favorite w-body. Nearly impossible to find these days. They are still out there. 

Oh yeah by far, I’ve been looking at some but man are they hard to find, I wanna find one like my dads but that wil, probably never happen. I found a cool 92 sedan international, which was neat because I’ve never seen a cutlass with the new facia having the pie wheels and all the badging, also had the hud leather lq9 seats sunroof and it was a 5 speed, unfortunately it had the 3.4(which also means it was the hm284 not the 282) which from what I’ve heard aren’t great engines, since they are interference engines

The 3.4l dohc (lq1, or lqwin as we call it here) is a fun engine. Lots of challenges, but rewarding to drive. I definitely miss mine. 

From what I remember 91 to 94 (95?) Non-interference. 95 (?) + up to 1997 I thought were the interference engines. I could be wrong it's been years since I've messed with a lq1

The short answer about any LQ1 and interference is "its complicated" the early ones were technically non interference but its happened to people on here none the less. My own personal experience is I threw a timing belt and the engine lived to tell the tale. your mileage will vary. Keep on top of it you'll probably be ok

However parts are getting scarce, Timing belt tensioner actuators are basically dried up now which really sucks

14 hours ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Oh yeah by far, I’ve been looking at some but man are they hard to find, I wanna find one like my dads but that wil, probably never happen. I found a cool 92 sedan international, which was neat because I’ve never seen a cutlass with the new facia having the pie wheels and all the badging, also had the hud leather lq9 seats sunroof and it was a 5 speed, unfortunately it had the 3.4(which also means it was the hm284 not the 282) which from what I’ve heard aren’t great engines, since they are interference engines

I'd pick this car up if it was clean!    The 3.4 shouldn't scare you.  Mainly because an L67 swap is easy enough to do with these shall the 3.4 ever give up the ghost or parts aren't available.  

15 hours ago, White93z34 said:

I had the EXACT SAME thought! like I knew exactly's who owned that car.  Been around these things for too long apparently!! LOL.  

12 hours ago, White93z34 said:

The short answer about any LQ1 and interference is "its complicated" the early ones were technically non interference but its happened to people on here none the less. My own personal experience is I threw a timing belt and the engine lived to tell the tale. your mileage will vary. Keep on top of it you'll probably be ok

However parts are getting scarce, Timing belt tensioner actuators are basically dried up now which really sucks

I blew the belt (a pulley actually) in my cutlass when I had it, put it back together and drove it a few more years. And even back then actuators were hard to find, pretty sure that happened in 06.

2 minutes ago, Psych0matt said:

I blew the belt (a pulley actually) in my cutlass when I had it, put it back together and drove it a few more years. And even back then actuators were hard to find, pretty sure that happened in 06.

yep, now they are officially discontinued. Means next time I need one things are going to get interesting, probably have to either rebuild it myself or come up with another solution

2 hours ago, White93z34 said:

yep, now they are officially discontinued. Means next time I need one things are going to get interesting, probably have to either rebuild it myself or come up with another solution

If, when you do, keep me posted (though I'm sure you'll post up here). I know at some point mine will fail, not sure if my actuator was replaced, but I'm pretty sure the belt has been. I haven't checked it out this year but it looked nearly new 2 years ago (and I've only driven it about 10k miles in about 13 years)