KYB GR2 Front Struts in 1G Cars

Addicted To Boost

I have a question for those of you who have installed KYB GR2s in the front of your first gen: 

After sliding the strut down into the knuckle, you install the strut retainer ring and thread it into the tube of the knuckle- Is the retaining ring supposed to bottom out in the knuckle?  I'm pretty sure the OE retaining ring fully bottoms out into the tube when paired with the OE strut. I've verified with both the OE ring and the ring included with the GR2s that they both fully thread into the tube and bottom out with no strut installed.  If I install the GR2 strut, the ring will thread into the tube about halfway, then it gets tight. I can physically feel that about half the threads are still exposed and the ring does not bottom out into the tube- I feel like it should, though.  For those who have GR2s on their car- is this right?

it depends, does it keep the strut firmly in place?

I had an instance on my one TGP where the threads were crossed about partway down and let an extra 10-15mm of play in the strut which sounded just fantastic

It seems to hold it, from what I can tell. But, I haven't reassembled it any further than that.  I took the strut out and verified that it will thread all the way down and bottom out by hand.  It just doesn't bottom out on the tube of the knuckle when the strut is installed.  Seems less than ideal.

Edited by Addicted To Boost

It's been a long time since I did the front shocks, when you stand the 2 shocks side by side is the KYB item slightly longer than the old OEM?

The retaining ring shouldn't *bottom* out when the shock is in place, it has to apply pressure to the shock housing to secure the shock into position.

Well, I have the KYBs installed and locked down.  Steve, the KYBs are indeed slightly longer than the OE cartridges.  They feel solidly secured, but I suppose I'll find out if this is correct once I take it for a drive and see if it makes noise. 😄

Edited by Addicted To Boost

Yes, it has been fine so far.  There is probably some oil on the threads from the factory-filled tubes, but more than that is probably unnecessary here in AZ.