Indomitable belt noise

crazyd

Okay, I've got a belt noise and I know what you're thinking.  Oh, that's easy.  But hear me out because I've already tried just about everything I can think of and most of what you'll be thinking too.  But I've missed something and I'm out of ideas what else it could be.

So, I've replaced the power steering pump, water pump, compressor, tensioner, tensioner pulley, and of course the belt itself, but it just won't go away.  I sanded down the water pump pulley to rough it up with mild emery cloth and even sprayed down all the other pulleys with carb cleaner to get rid of any oil/coolant/grease/grime in their grooves, and that's when I put the new belt on - which was the last thing I did. The alternator is the only thing left and I'm sure it's not to blame, for reasons I'll get to in a minute. 

Though the compressor, tensioner and PS pump needed replacement, the water pump didn't and the alternator doesn't either.  It sounds like it's coming from the water pump/compressor, but it's really hard to tell with these kinds of noises, and it doesn't change with the compressor free-wheeling or engaged - and neither of those produces sufficient load to be a realistic culprit. 

It sounds like chirping crickets and I'm sure it's the belt because if I rub a bar of soap on the back of the (brand new) belt while it's running, the noise stops - for 5 minutes or so, then it comes right back.  I was thinking it might potentially be something in the timing belt area behind it, but this proves otherwise.  It changes with RPM and is worst when it's cold, and as the engine warms up it eventually gets down to a minor chirp at around 2200rpm, no higher no lower.

I'm at wit's end, so if anybody has any other suggestions I'm all ears.  I can shoot a video of it if necessary but I don't think it's going to help.

TIA, DD

a case of Buddy Holly & the Crickets without Buddy Holly......lol

Dave: what do you get if you re-install the old belt again?

Edited by 55trucker

Positive that the belt is positioned squarely in the center of all pulleys? The tensioner is the only one that can move, is it squarely placed on the front of the engine?

I'd suggest trying another manufacturers belt.

Yes, the belt is positioned squarely in the middle and the tensioner is squarely placed on the front of the engine.  The previous tensioner's arm had started to separate from the body, putting the arm at a slight angle and making the belt wander back and forth.  No issue with the new one.

The new belt is a Mastercraft from O'Reilly.  I don't know who the OEM is that makes it for them.

Try a Gates or a Goodyear, personally I've not had good luck with Goodyear, the last one I purchased was a Gatorback and it Squealed to no relief. It came off for a Gates.

If a new belt and the old belt both squeal maybe the new tensioner is defective?  Does it get worse when you load up the power steering or cycle the ac?