UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
bluecalais79

3.4 Water Pump 1994 CS

bluecalais79

Quick question on r + r of my water pump on my 1994 CS, the giant green manual advises I need to remove the coolant tank before removing the water pump. I took a look and I'm wondering, is that really necessary, there seems to be enough clearance to get at it, but I could be wrong.

Thx, looks like the water pump is one of the few things on this motor which you can actually remove fairly easily.

55trucker

Yepper,

pull the recovery tank, the pump (assuming it is the original) has a deep cone shaped cast impeller, when you're looking for a replacement Get the same, try not to fall into the *oh, the chinese aftermarket pump will do*, not so.

58323H-fro__ra_p.jpg.7bca7c754a8807a8a1a4623cb86385ba.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

digitaloutsider

Unless you have some super dainty hands and arms, I don't know how you'd get to it without removing the overflow tank. Regardless, it's like 2 bolts and comes out in 30 seconds and would make the whole process infinitely easier. And I agree, find the one with the proper impeller. 

bluecalais79

Thanks, got it, I pulled the original overflow tank a few months ago to replace it with an NOS one. I was hoping to leave it but out it goes. 

As for the pump, I'm ready to go with a new A/C Delco pump  (not a reman or junk chinese replacement). I'm the original owner of this car and I know it's the original pump, it was never replaced during the time my Dad or my brother owned it. The bearings are starting to sing (I recognize the sound from the w/p that croaked on my 3.1 last year) so it's time for it to go. 

I'm long overdue for posting some photos of these 2 cars on this site, I'll try and get to that over this weekend. Quite frankly my 1994 has come out so well I'm thinking about selling the white 1996. Time will tell.