UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Drummer

06 grand prix gxp electrical issues

Recommended Posts

Drummer

Ok on my 06 grand prix gxp i replaced my radiator and battery cables and now after reconnecting everything ive got a code b1516 and c0040 and my alternator puts out 13.5-13.9 volts constantly even if i unplug the 2 pin connector  I found out that c0040 is for the right front abs sensor and b1516 is for the battery sensor thats attached to the negative battery cable.   What exactly does this battery sensor do and does anyone have schematics so i can start to troubleshoot.  Thanks for any info

Edited by Drummer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psych0matt

I’m guessing you have a ground not seating properly. Assuming you didn’t have issues before and you didn’t break anything while working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mfewtrail

Did you have the b1516 code before working on the car? If not, you've more than likely turned the battery current sensor around the opposite way when installing it.

 

See the following for troubleshooting information: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/dam/jcr:dd879eb0-b5a0-4eb3-862b-2cb49f40e18d/13) Technical Service Bulletin - November 2017.pdf

 

Edited by mfewtrail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drummer
On 5/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, Psych0matt said:

I’m guessing you have a ground not seating properly. Assuming you didn’t have issues before and you didn’t break anything while working.

I had no codes or issues prior to swapping out my radiator.  A pully did cut a wire on my abs harness which since has been fixed.

3 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

Did you have the b1516 code before working on the car? If not, you've more than likely turned the battery current sensor around the opposite way when installing it.

 

See the following for troubleshooting information: https://www.brakepartsinc.com/dam/jcr:dd879eb0-b5a0-4eb3-862b-2cb49f40e18d/13) Technical Service Bulletin - November 2017.pdf

 

My new negative cable was an ac delco cable and the sensor is put on the right way(tab is facing away from the terminal)  but I did notice the sensor part numbers were different.  I was thinking of putting the old one back on to test but I will test the connector to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mfewtrail
20 hours ago, Drummer said:

I had no codes or issues prior to swapping out my radiator.  A pully did cut a wire on my abs harness which since has been fixed.

My new negative cable was an ac delco cable and the sensor is put on the right way(tab is facing away from the terminal)  but I did notice the sensor part numbers were different.  I was thinking of putting the old one back on to test but I will test the connector to make sure.

Research that part number difference for sure. Some of those sensors around that era operate on different voltages even though the article made no mention of it since it focused on a 2009 model. I think GM updated the current sensors over the years as well to correct issues with them, so that's something else to look into that the part # might bring up in a search.

Edited by mfewtrail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rockfangd

I agree. That was the first gen to have that sensor. If it worked fine with the old one then it is likely that is the issue. So the new cable came with the sensor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drummer

Yes the new neg. cable came with a new sensor which looks to be the second version.  I tested the wiring for my sensor and had 10 volts for the supply and signal so I ended up putting the old sensor(1st version) back on and now my alternator is charging normally and the service vehicle soon message is off.  I just don't understand why the cable came with the 2nd version sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mfewtrail
4 hours ago, Drummer said:

Yes the new neg. cable came with a new sensor which looks to be the second version.  I tested the wiring for my sensor and had 10 volts for the supply and signal so I ended up putting the old sensor(1st version) back on and now my alternator is charging normally and the service vehicle soon message is off.  I just don't understand why the cable came with the 2nd version sensor.

Superseded part numbers probably got grouped together at some point without someone noticing(?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...