UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
bluecalais79

Front Strut Cartridge Replacement- 1994 Cutlass Supreme

bluecalais79

Anyone out there ever replace their front strut cartridges in their CS, I'd like to take a crack at it and save a repair bill. I know I'll need a special tool that I see goes for about $50 to $55 on E Bay. But after seeing a video showing someone doing this job on a 1994 Buick (Regal?) W Body, this looks like something I can do. I have the KYB cartridges but I'd also look to be replacing any and all parts on the way in, and I have a too to drain the oil.

Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. The rears are all set, my Mechanic just got done installing them, including that FSTB in the trunk.

oldmangrimes

I've done it on my 95 Cutlass vert, it wasn't too bad.   I ordered the special tool, you might be able to find it cheaper from someone who is selling their used one, or rent it from an auto parts store.   One thing I had a problem with on one side was that I had to apply some horizontal force to get things lined up in order to re-assemble the parts into the opening.    Also, I made a mistake of selling the special tool right after I installed the struts (I needed the cash).   Because a few months later I started hearing a clunk on one side, and once I realized that one of the struts had come loose, I had to re-buy the special tool and tighten it back up.   I kept that tool, and then now of course I haven't needed it for the last few years it's just collecting dust.   I'd ship my tool to you to use, but Murphy's Law dictates that the day after I would ship it then I would need it, guaranteed lol.    Anyway, make sure you torque things down properly when re-assembling everything.    

Another thing I remember is that the installation uses a different combination of tools, the KYBs I installed had a different nut on top than the old ones I pulled out.    

I didn't notice any oil in mine when I changed them, but I wasn't the original owner so probably the previous owner had already changed them once.      

bluecalais79

Thanks, the shop wanted over $700 to do this job but I think they had in mind changing the entire mechanism, not the cartridge itself. I watched that You Tube video again last night, as long a I have ALL the replacement parts at the ready I think this is one job I can do that will save big bucks on the whole.

I just sunk $3400 into it getting it back up to being roadworthy after 8 years of neglect/abuse by my Dad & Brother, and since I'm the original owner and would really like to see my nephew get this car, it is all surely worth it.

No turning back.

pitzel

Its not a particularly hard job.  But one caveat -- if your spring seats use the GM powder coating, rather than the paint, then a full disassembly of the entire tower is necessary to inspect the coil spring seat.  I'm not sure if 1994 cars used powder coat or painted parts.  But unfortunately the powder coat parts, the powder coat fails, and eventually causes failure of the spring seat.  Even in climates in which not much salt is used.  

Otherwise, one runs the risk of having the spring seat fail, which can be quite a serious issue.  

If a shop wants $700, they should be pulling the whole knuckle, right down to the ball joint and the axle, compressing the spring on an external spring compressor, inspecting and replacing the spring seat if necessary, and then reassembling.  

If you need new spring seats, they're cheap on Rockauto, like $3-$5 a side including bearing.  Make sure you use some paint to mark the positions of everything so you can put it back together correctly.

Edited by pitzel