UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
rich_e777

Engine Support tool vs LQ1

rich_e777

I have a need to drop the subframe on my 1995 Vert to do the mounts, work on the steering rack and replace the oil pan and gaskets as well as anything else I can get at while I have access. Ive never used one of the engine bay support bars and I`m gong to have to be under this thing for a few minutes to get a jackstand under the tranny. I think I have it in the right position but for saftey`s sake its smart to ask if I`m going about this correctly. 

For the passenger side or "front" of the engine I thought to use the black bracket just behind the P/S pump, if this is suitable to use should I have a bolt-on hook to snag that loop or use a nut and bolt to secure the chain to it?

pkwXr4N.jpg

rich_e777

For the drivers side or "rear" of the engine I thought I might be able to use a tranny bell house bolt If got another chain the bolt could fit through. Trying to point to the one inline with the bar here, if there is a better way to go about it I`m all ears.

W1ssH14.jpg

55trucker

The front lifting *eye*  is centered enough to allow that end to come up relatively level, for the the back end I would consider using a short 1 ton lifting sling/chain combination wrapped entirely under the trans on the inside of the tailshaft extension positioned to clear the rear of the oilpan.

A sufficiently strong ratcheting tie-down would also serve to do the job, seeing as they have hooks on both ends no chains would be needed.

Edited by 55trucker

rich_e777

Theres a bit more confidence then, I appreciate that tip. Bracket on the front, wrap around on the rear, thats the way I`ll go about it. It probably looks like Ive put more work than needed into this but I`m putting in all new hoses, gaskets, o-rings etc along the way to keep this car going well into the future. Many thanks to the PO for keeping an old car like this up all those years, shes here to stay.

55trucker

I will find myself in this exact situation, come the spring I need to get the subframe out to do clean up, replace the exhaust pipe flange fasteners, replace the PS lines for good measure.

Going to the GM Nationals this year ( missed it too many times for problems that sneek up & get in the way). 1st gen Grand Prix's don't make appearances very often.

White93z34

just be careful of how much, if at all you apply lateral force to the rear hook point. I've seen way too many LQ1s with a broken tang off the timing cover due to that.

rich_e777

The timing cover doesn't look like it`d much fun to take off so definitely want to avoid damaging that. I`m going to leave the dogbone a little loose and use a few scissor jacks and 2x4s to help keep the engine/trans in place. I dont think there is any way around not pulling the axle nuts and separating the axle from the spindle so that`ll have to happen. Ive watched a few videos on this tool and they`re saying to lift the engine with a jack then tighten the tool as you instead of lifting with the tool. HD strap you just ratchet away. This is exciting, ive never done anything this big before.