LQ1 w/170K on it - yay or nay

06goat75

LQ1 with 170K on it.  Car itself is very clean.  

No maintenance history.  Runs and drives just fine.  

What say you?  Run away and keep looking due to the mileage, or go for it with expecting to rebuild engine/trans in the future?  

Not factoring in price.  Strictly mileage based opinion 

Edited by 06goat75

49 minutes ago, 06goat75 said:

LQ1 with 170K on it.  Car itself is very clean.  

No maintenance history.  Runs and drives just fine.  

What say you?  Run away and keep looking due to the mileage, or go for it with expecting to rebuild engine/trans in the future?  

Not factoring in price.  Strictly mileage based opinion 

I can't speak for anyone else but if you like the car, the color, the options it has, the condition it's in, the price, I would go for it.  The maintenance stuff like you said yourself earlier isn't a big deal to get worked out.  Mileage too me isn't really a big deal.

My Money Carlo head around that mileage, and I didn’t have any issues the few years I had it

Depends on price I guess but higher miles mean nothing to me. I bought my 06 with 205 and it now has 235

Since you're in a snow State, look at the rust.
Look at the trailing arms, the brake lines, the front and rear vertical/horizontal sheet-metal between the frame rails, the uni-body right behind the front sub-frame, rocker panels, bottom of the doors, etc.

Good Luck. :)

What year of vehicle?

91-95 non interference engine or 96-97 interference?

170, 000 miles and no cam belt servicing as of yet could very well be a headache waiting in the bushes. Pull the front cam cover access port and take a good look at the belt engine still  & running.

trans will be the 4T60-E, if not beaten on will hold up well, the average motorist never bothers to service their trans regularly.

as stated look all over the body for weak spots

My '93 popped a head gasket on the rear bank at ~160K, or thereabouts.

While I had the head off, I looked at the bores.  They were beautiful.  Decided I was being foolish to "not" pull the other head at the same time.  Glad I did, the front head gasket was wounded in the SAME PLACE as the rear just not yet to the point of leaking.  There seems to be a weak spot in the head casting, over time it distorts.  That reduces the clamp load on the gasket, and then the gasket pops.  I had the heads milled .015, valve-jobbed them (intakes looked wonderful, exhaust valves looked terrible, exhaust seats were still good.) and did the GM-bulletin for altering the camshaft lube while it was all apart.  Even installed a block-heater and alternator while the rear head was off--really easy then.

But again--the bores looked wonderful.  Still had hone-marks.  God bless feedback fuel injection and overdrive transmissions.

If you like the car...and the price is right...buy it.