Chime box.

jiggity76

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the chime box look like.  I located it under the passenger side instrument panel but not sure what it looks like or exactly where it's located.  I call it the chime box but I think it's the warning alarm.  It makes that dinging sound when you leave your headlights on when the car is off or if you left your keys in the ignition sort of thing.  Thank you!  Is it one of these guys?  This is the Convenience Center and it's suppose to be here somewhere.  I know the silver round relay is the hazard flasher.

This is a relay I think but is this it?  Or is it the Pistachio colored box?

20191220_143725[1].jpg

20191220_143842[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76

Ok, thank you!  Any ideas on how to get it out?  I pulled on it pretty hard and it wouldn't budge.  I didn't want to break it.  My white 91 has never made any noises so I thought I would try this one from the parts car.

There's a tab on the bottom, slide a thin screwdriver in there and twist slightly.

It's likely that, they tend to go bad over time. My truck has one from a 1994 Cutlass convertible.

Thank you for the offer!  Are they basically the same then?  I'll might take you up on that!

You won't believe it, my parts guy at the local GM dealer says there are still NOS ones available!

I'm not surprised that you can get NOS. The 1994 is slightly different as there are more wires since it also controls the automatic door locks and I think a chime that tells you if your turn signal has been on too long (too bad my mother in law's 1999 Park Avenue didn't have that. I'm sure people used to think she was going around the world to the left.🤣🤣

Edited by ManicMechanic

LOL!  That's funny!  Did you know these Cutlass Supreme cars have the turn signal left on too long feature too?  Of course you did, look who I'm asking!  I didn't know that until I looked at the window sticker for the parts car. 

My 94 Silverado didn't chime as I remember.  It was just a solid alarm sound, didn't beep.

2 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

My 94 Silverado didn't chime as I remember.  It was just a solid alarm sound, didn't beep.

I HATE that chime, that's why I replaced it with a fully functional 1994 Cutlass chime, my locks automatically lock at 9 MPH; my turn signal chime works plus it sounds a lot more modern.

Jiggity76 on your 1991 chime module what does the red and purple external wires do?

The reason that chimes module sounds so bad is because the sound is produced from an electro magnet pulling on a steel disk. If GM made that 2 wire 7-pin module with a speaker you can greatly improve yhe quality of the sound.

My 96 Cutlass had the standard seven pin module with the steel disk that sounded bad. One day I was working on a 1988 Astro Van and noticed that the chime was nicer my Cutlass so I pulled the module and discovered that it had a speaker instead of a steel disk. I went to the salvage yard and pulled about 10 chime modules from late 80’s and found about 4 good modules with speakers. I have wired one of the speaker modules in my 75 Chevy truck so that when I open the door with the lights on it will chime. This is a simple 2-wire hook up.

The module with the speaker has holes in front of the speaker and the steel disk module does not.

Chime Module 002A.JPG

Chime Module 005A.JPG

Edited by ron350

20 minutes ago, ron350 said:

Jiggity76 on your 1991 chime module what does the red and purple external wires do?

The reason that chimes module sounds so bad is because the sound is produced from an electro magnet pulling on a steel disk. If GM made that 2 wire 7-pin module with a speaker you can greatly improve yhe quality of the sound.

My 96 Cutlass had the standard seven pin module with the steel disk that sounded bad. One day I was working on a 1988 Astro Van and noticed that the chime was nicer my Cutlass so I pulled the module and discovered that it had a speaker instead of a steel disk. I went to the salvage yard and pulled about 10 chime modules from late 80’s and found about 4 good modules with speakers. I have wired one of the speaker modules in my 75 Chevy truck so that when I open the door with the lights on it will chime. This is a simple 2-wire hook up.

The module with the speaker has holes in front of the speaker and the steel disk module does not.

Chime Module 002A.JPG

Chime Module 005A.JPG

Oh that's very interesting!  I didn't know there was so much technology in these little boxes.  The wires plug into what GM calls the Convenience Center.  It also houses the hazard flasher relay and is wired into the main harness of the car.  I'm guessing the wires are for when it knows there is a need to sound the alarm.  For example:

When you leave your headlights on when the car is off and your keys are in the ignition.

When you leave your turn signal on for too long, it will tell you to turn it off, a turn signal reminder.

When you left your keys in the ignition and the engine is off, don't forget your keys.

Other than that, I'm not really sure.  Here's the pic of the Convenience Center and where the chime box lives.

20191220_143842[1].jpg

My memory is so bad I cant find my spare chime module for my 96 Regal so I had to pull it.

The 96 Regal module is part #10253233 Chime /With Doorlock. This module has the nasty steel disk with 8 pins and 4 external wires in the same plastic box as your 1991 module. This module is so loud I had to wrap it with foam to dampen the volume. Forgot that i gave up looking for a module for the 96 with a speaker instead of the steel disk.

Edited by ron350
Picture is ont right side up.