Engine Support bar mounting locations

rich_e777

I bought one of those HF 1000lb engine support tools for about $50 so I couldnt pass it up. I need to drop the subframe in the 1995 LQ1 Vert to get at a few things but I`m unsure where to hook the chains up to the engine/trans on the passenger side or front of the engine. On the drivers side it looks like I can route the chain around the trans casing its self but if someone knows a better way to go about it I`d appreciate the advice. 

Need to replace the R/P and fix the pressure sensor leak and harness, the rear subframe bushings are wobbly and I want to change the oil pan gasket while I`m down there.  

Don't "wrap" a chain "around" anything.

Find bolts that are at least 1/2"(10mm), and connect a chain to those bolts.  You may need longer bolts.  That's what Home Depot is for. :)

You want to connect to the block or the tranny.  If the engine has support braces, those are good places to connect to.
Note: Do not connect a chain to the intake or the timing cover.  The stress and chain could crack/damage either of those.

I've attached pictures from when I did the head gasket, and the crank and rod bearings, on my '94 Achieva DOHC Quad4.  You can see that I used muffler clamps over the bolts, to make things easy. :)

The engine had ~190K miles on it at that point.  So, I decided to replace the crank and rod bearings at the same time.  The bearing replacement, and having to drop the oil pan, is the reason I needed to use the engine support bar. 
Note: For just a head gasket change on a Quad4, an engine support bar is not needed.

If I was dropping the sub-frame, then I would have used a chain.
Make sure that the engine brace can not tilt or fall.

The top picture shows how I used a scissor jack to re-position the engine, when I was reinstalling an engine mount.

The bottom picture shows how the engine support brace fit over a bolt on the strut tower.  That kept the brace from moving.

Good Luck!

94_Engine_Support_4.jpg

94_Engine_Support1.jpg

94_Engine_Support2.jpg

94_Engine_Support3.jpg

94_Engine_Support_5.jpg

Edited by Cutlass350

Thanks for the advice, Ive never seen one used before and given the length of chain that came with it that seemed the way. I`ll have to take some things off but theres two black metal pieces with loops in them I think I can use. I`ll take some pics before I get to far.

Don't know about the 3.4, but the 3.1 has lifting points which work decently well with the chains on the Harbour Freight support bar.   This is the setup I used to change the oil pan gasket.

IMG_0256.JPG

Edited by pitzel

On Tuesday, September 03, 2019 at 5:14 AM, pitzel said:

Don't know about the 3.4, but the 3.1 has lifting points which work decently well with the chains on the Harbour Freight support bar.   This is the setup I used to change the oil pan gasket.

:thumbsup:

Iirc, the Quad4 and the LX5 (3.5L V6) also have one or more lifting points.
When I did the Quad4 head gasket and bearings, I had to remove the head.  So, the lifting points also had to come off. :-P

Btw, some times, the lifting brackets(if separate) may have been removed and not put back on.  I did that on my Mustang, since the bracket was a PITA, and often in the way.  For many older V8 Mustangs, it's rare to see the factory engine hoist brackets still on the engine. :)