UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Beau

1994 Cutlass Ciera 3.1L 84k miles

Hello I'm a new member here... I bought the car a year and half ago from original owner. Her son was a GM mechanic and had a binder of every service from 1994. When i bought it I changed all the fluids and filters, plugs and wires. It ran like a new car. So quiet i couldn't here it at idle in the car. I drove the car to work and it drove great, drove it home and the same. I start it the next morning and the motor was clattering loudly so I shut it off. The oil is full, the coolant was low about 2 cups. It didn't over heat or even get hot. What could have gone wrong over night? Its crazy it drove perfect to my house and super quiet, and the next morning its chattering. I ran it for maybe 3 seconds and shut it down. I poured seafoam in oil and started it and the same, waited till the next day to let it do its thing and start it, same noise so I shut it down fast. Should I let it run and hope it was a clogged lifter? I just dont want to ruin a low miles taken care of motor. Thanks for any help

The oil has around 500 miles on since the last change and it looks like new oil. No moisture under oil cap. No coolant has made its way into the oil. I will make a video of the noise tonight or tomorrow sometime. Thanks

I think there used to be an N-body forum somewhere. I guess I forgot that much like these cars, no one really cares about them anymore. You're welcome to hang out here and ask these sorts of questions, but things move pretty slowly over here. 

Also check out the www.60degreev6.com forums.

4 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

I think there used to be an N-body forum somewhere. I guess I forgot that much like these cars, no one really cares about them anymore. You're welcome to hang out here and ask these sorts of questions, but things move pretty slowly over here. 

First, as you said, the OP's car is an A-body, not an N-Body.
My two Achievas are N-body cars.
Fwiw, there aren't any really active forums for N-Bodys.

Since the car is an Olds, a "possible" forum is at:
https://oldsmobileforums.com/forums/index.php

Note, as much as *I* am a die-hard Old's fan (I currently have three :)), I don't check out those forums anymore.  Imho, just about every new post was "how do I fix the car, but not spend any money at all".
Imho, in other words, they were really saying "I'll send this car to the crusher the second that I have to spend any real money on it".
Imho, spend money and do maintenance, or get another car and hope that it lasts.

Fwiw, I agree, I think that the OP should be welcome here.  This one of the few active forums for older GM cars.  There aren't a ton of posts.  But, imho, that's a good thing. :)

Also, I agree that we need a video with sound.  It might be something simple.  Or, it might not be.