Is there a trick?

jiggity76

I need to pull the hard plastic vacuum lines for the cruise control system and accumulator from my 89 International coupe parts car.  Has anyone done this yet?  Are there any tricks or way to lessen the chance of cracking these fragile lines?

You're gonna break 'em anyway, so you might as well do it on purpose where it's easy/convenient for removal, then just splice 'em back together with two-inch sections of rubber hose.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Schurkey said:

You're gonna break 'em anyway, so you might as well do it on purpose where it's easy/convenient for removal, then just splice 'em back together with two-inch sections of rubber hose.

Nope, I didn't.  I was careful and it turned out great.  Just had to be patient.  I'm trying to get rid of the rubber hose repairs.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, jiggity76 said:

Nope, I didn't.  I was careful and it turned out great.  Just had to be patient.  I'm trying to get rid of the rubber hose repairs.

I took rubber fuel line and basically 'covered' the lines everywhere that they might possibly rub on the frame, particularly through the battery box area.  Fixing the vacuum lines was literally the first repair I had to do on my car when I got it. 

I didn't find them terribly fragile, but if they rub, eventually there will be an issue.

5 hours ago, pitzel said:

I took rubber fuel line and basically 'covered' the lines everywhere that they might possibly rub on the frame, particularly through the battery box area.  Fixing the vacuum lines was literally the first repair I had to do on my car when I got it. 

I didn't find them terribly fragile, but if they rub, eventually there will be an issue.

I agree.  I'm going thru that process right now.  I've decided to replace the broken lines with either good junkyard ones or make my own.  I ordered some new nylon tubing last night actually.  Here is my original broken cruise control vacuum line going to the accumulator.  The line holder block is missing too.  I'm also using the plastic protective wrap in the areas that are either missing it or replacing the broken ones with good ones.  Once I start on replacing the LIM gaskets, I will tackle the other vacuum lines when I'm in there.

c86tWq.jpgzcdS7X.jpg

Stole the good complete system from my parts car and transferred it over, including the line block holder.  That grey spot was some dirt I missed!

fZiVxC.jpge7IfXi.jpg

The T splitter was all messed up as well, now the lines are going and connected where they're suppose to be.

aabexG.jpg