Rusted right rear frame rail where rear trailing arm mounts.

Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

Does anyone know if (or what) W bodies are the same back here? On my 97 Cutlass Coupe, on the right side rear, where the trailing arm bolts to the frame rail, the pocket where it mounts is rusty. Strangely, and thankfully, it is only the right side. I've found a shop that does fabricating that is willing to make the repair, but he wants to graft a factory part of the frame rail in, instead of just making the part from scratch. Given the complicated nature of the part, this seems like the best move. I would think the Grand Prix, Regal, Monte Carlo and Cutlass would all be the same, but I have no way of knowing. Any help would be appreciated!

1988-1997 Cutlass Supremes are all the same where the trailing arm mounts, as are 1988-1996 Grand Prix and Regals, and 1990-2001 Luminas/1995-1999 Monte Carlos. 

Actually, Imp67 had a 2nd gen mount welded on to his 96 Regal. IIRC, they sell 2nd gen trailing arm mounts but not 1st gens.

Here's an eBay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Trailing-Arm-Brackets-Lower-Rear-Pair-Set-of-2-for-Buick-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac-/311314404370

So, I guess this would replace where mine is rusted? It would bolt in place? The rail around mine is rusted, and that pocket that is for sale is still ok. Thanks for the info! I'll call the shop this morning to show him what you've found. Anyone else ever had this done? Any more tips? I've stopped driving my car at this point fearing the whole thing will tear out unless I get it fixed. 

I looked again of some pictures I have of the damage, and that part looks correct. Did anyone else have the rail around that mount rust too? Here's a pic of the damage.post-9114-0-83264700-1495028331_thumb.jpg

You already have the new style mounts. Order a brand new one in and see your local frame welding shop. Try Rockauto for good prices.

Edited by Imp558

1988-1997 Cutlass Supremes are all the same where the trailing arm mounts, as are 1988-1996 Grand Prix and Regals, and 1990-2001 Luminas/1995-1999 Monte Carlos. 

Actually, Imp67 had a 2nd gen mount welded on to his 96 Regal. IIRC, they sell 2nd gen trailing arm mounts but not 1st gens.

Here's an eBay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Trailing-Arm-Brackets-Lower-Rear-Pair-Set-of-2-for-Buick-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac-/311314404370

Are you 100% sure that those models are the same? And, would a 4 door Regal or Grand Prix be the same as a Coupe? I'm in Florida for the next few weeks, and the yards down here are thick with W bodies, but no Cutlass. I think I may just cut a section of the frame rail from a rust free car and bring it back north when I go home. Thanks.

Regardless whether a coupe or sedan the 1st gen platform floorpan stampings are the same. The box rails are also the same, what is under a GP will be the same as what's under a Cutlass.

see the 1st link for the now discontinued part #"s, see the 2nd link for the platform interchange & the years it applies to.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/1995/pontiac/grand-prix/gtp-trim/3-4l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/rear-floor-and-rails-scat

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/pontiac/grand-prix/10276406/1995-year/gtp-trim/3-4l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/rear-floor-and-rails-scat/?part_name=frame-rail&position=right

Looking at the severity of your situation I'd suggest taking as much of the rail as you possibly can along with the floorpan above it if not the entire rail. This will be job not for the faint of heart.

Regardless whether a coupe or sedan the 1st gen platform floorpan stampings are the same. The box rails are also the same, what is under a GP will be the same as what's under a Cutlass.

see the 1st link for the now discontinued part #"s, see the 2nd link for the platform interchange & the years it applies to.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/1995/pontiac/grand-prix/gtp-trim/3-4l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/rear-floor-and-rails-scat

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/pontiac/grand-prix/10276406/1995-year/gtp-trim/3-4l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/rear-floor-and-rails-scat/?part_name=frame-rail&position=right

Looking at the severity of your situation I'd suggest taking as much of the rail as you possibly can along with the floorpan above it if not the entire rail. This will be job not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for the info! I've found a bunch of Regals and Monte Carlos down here, and I think I may just take my 18 volt cordless DeWalt sawsall and cut out a section of the rail. 

How far north do you actually live?

I've been trying to get a hold of a small section of right rear quarter panel for my GP, thought I had a lead locked down but it seems to have fallen thru.

How far north do you actually live?

I've been trying to get a hold of a small section of right rear quarter panel for my GP, thought I had a lead locked down but it seems to have fallen thru.

I have a house in Florida and Cleveland. I'll be back in Cleveland the first week of June. What specifically are you looking for?

I will be happy to look for you tomorrow when I go to the yard. Have you considered just making the piece? That particular section of the quarter isn't that complex of a shape. I figured you were looking for the part of the quarter where the bumper cover and the quarter meet-I've seen most rust at that point. Have you had your rear cover off lately to see if that area is solid? The rust on my right rail really caught me by surprise. I haven't driven that car in the winter for 7-8 years, and when I did I washed it (underside too) every week. I found the damage when I started to hear a rattle in the rear end. Imagine my surprise when I crawled under it and found the mess that is now there!

I have a house in Florida and Cleveland. I'll be back in Cleveland the first week of June. What specifically are you looking for?

Haha, I go to Cleveland for parts, we don't have any self serve where I live. Bummer that Kirby PAP closed.

Gave that some consideration, but removing the affected portion & sectioning in a direct replacement is considerably easier. There are too many folds/bends/contours to overcome & match them exactly.

The entire car is near pristine except for this small area that was apparently missed when the car was oil sprayed inside the quarter panels.

Haha, I go to Cleveland for parts, we don't have any self serve where I live. Bummer that Kirby PAP closed.

Yea, its weird that Kirby closed. I've never heard why. Given what it costs to open one of those PAP from scratch it doesn't make sense.

Thanks to the information from 55trucker, I was able to go to the junk yard today in Largo, Florida (about 150 miles north of where I live) and cut out the needed section of the frame rail. It was a bitch, to say the least! I took 10 new metal cutting sawsall blades (the really thick ones) and 3 battery packs for my cordless Dewalt. I used 6 blades, and it took over 3 hours, and exhausted all 3 batteries. I had about 4 inches left to cut, and no battery power. So, thankfully, I had a very sharp cold chisel, and just powered through. It was 92 degrees, with 55 percent humidity, with a heat index of 99 degrees! But, I got the section out, and will be sending it up north so the shop can section the rail in. The section is shown cut out and laying upside down in a pick up truck next to the Regal sedan it came from.post-9114-0-60254800-1495244177_thumb.jpg

I was able to go to the junk yard today in Largo, Florida (about 150 miles north of where I live) and cut out the needed section of the frame rail.

150 miles is not exactly ....'round the corner

150 miles is not exactly ....'round the corner

True. I left my house at 9:15 this morning, and got home at 7:30. About 3 hours each way, with crazy Florida traffic.

Impressive! Good for you! It's so rare to see someone care enough to fix these. It's nice to see.

Thanks. This underside rust came as a surprise, and it is the only rusty spot on the car. I hope to keep it forever!

• 1 month later...

post-9114-0-51078500-1498619835_thumb.jpgpost-9114-0-51078500-1498619835_thumb.jpgI got my Cutlass back today! It was a huge undertaking, but it turned out great. There was even a foot long and 10 inch high piece missing under the cladding just in front of the right rear wheel. It is all structurally sound again. And, the clunking I was starting to hear is gone-apparently it was the mount

for the right control arm moving around. The farther thpost-9114-0-29666500-1498619877_thumb.jpgpost-9114-0-87622800-1498619902_thumb.jpgpost-9114-0-59342800-1498619981_thumb.jpgpost-9114-0-04924900-1498620003_thumb.jpgey went, the more rust they found. All that is left is the outer rocker on the right side, which I plan to do this summer my self. I'm going to buy a mig welder and learn how to weld. All in it was $1800, but since the rest of the car is so clean and runs so well I feel like it was wpost-9114-0-08734900-1498620064_thumb.jpgorth it.

• Like 3