BIG PROBLEM! NEED HELP! 00 Regal GS

sampuppy1

Yup. Gentex originated the auto dimming mirror and Donnelly tried to copy it using a different method, I believe to not have to pay Gentex for the patent. That's why they get that weird liquid thing after a while.

Donnelly auto-dimming mirrors suck.  I paid almost $200 for an auto-dimming, lighted, compass mirror in the late 90s and the fluid eventually leaked out of it, making it completely unusable.

Depends on what you want your outcome to be. I guess I can see why it wouldn't do anything considering it would be out of the "one year" warranty but if they deliberately sold a defective product, it does lower their rating which in turn makes people skeptical. A lot of people value that grade from the BBB

Every mirror I've found in the yard is either shot like mine or non lighted and has onstar lol

Sent from a flagged XT1254

Tyler/T-Unit

You want the rare one then. They're commonly found on Olds Intrigue GLS but the Lincolns had em too

I need one that fits my plug and functions.

Tyler/T-Unit

When you go to the junkyard, clip about 6 inches or so from the wire that is tucked in the headliner. Then splice into your wiring. That's how I did it on mine. I have a 2002 Camaro rear view mirror in my 94 Cutlass. The mirrors had different connectors, but I spliced them.

It's real easy to do. I did it on a Grand Am 5 years ago, but my mirror didn't have the lights. It was a Gentex 177 I got out of a 1999 Tahoe. I wanted the temperature sensor, but got a compass and auto dimming feature as well. Your situation will be a lot easier considering that you'll have a dedicated hot for the lights (and I think that goes to the BCM) and a switched hot for the auto dimming (and compass) feature.

• 2 weeks later...

So a search brought up no Gentex 221s. Sadly. I do have the Donnelly in my car though. I'll be searching for one though. I want the LED lights and compass. I don't think my car has temp on the mirror since the digital heater controls have an outside temp readout.

Tyler/T-Unit

I had one with the Map lights, Compass, and auto dim. The Regal already has map lights but I was going to put it in anyway. A friend of mine wanted one and I gave it to him by accident thinking it was another with compass/ auto dim. The loaded ones are rare as hell, that's the only one I ever saw.

• Like 1

I finally found the mirror I'd misplaced for the Camaro.  It's an autodimming mirror, with compass, and LED map lights.  I got it from an Intrigue, I think.

Since the IROC has an overhead console, it should be very easy to wire up so the map lights come on when the doors open, and switch off and on at other times when I need them.  Should be a nice addition to the car.

I found a gntx 208 in an intrigue. It's got led map lights, auto dim and compass. No temp function from what I can see. Will this work to replace my junk Donnelly?

b6c8c1d23b50fcd69cab74d4dcffe029.jpg

Tyler/T-Unit

Yes it will. You'll have to figure out which pin does what. I want to say that pin 6 and 7 (which were the temp sensor wiring) would be your constant 12V for the lights. That is if it wasn't changed, but regardless, you'll going to have to run a switched 12V for the auto dimming mirror and compass function.

Yes it will. You'll have to figure out which pin does what. I want to say that pin 6 and 7 (which were the temp sensor wiring) would be your constant 12V for the lights. That is if it wasn't changed, but regardless, you'll going to have to run a switched 12V for the auto dimming mirror and compass function.

My factory mirror has maps, compass, and auto dim. The maps come on for entry as well as with the buttons. I'm assuming the harness just needs repinned and I'll be all set.

Tyler/T-Unit