Manuals on CD

Padgett

I have a Detroit Iron service-manual-on-CD.  Very disappointed.  The scans are poor, the text within the photos is unreadable.  I complained; they sent me a replacement CD that had newer, updated packaging--but all of the same problems that the original CD had in terms of piss-poor scanning of the original manual.

OTOH, the parts-book included with the service manual is helpful.

What I have is a different brand, but I'm unlikely to buy more manuals on CD.  Give me paper!

Agree about quality but could say the same about some assembly manuals I have. Have ordered a couple since I have FSMs and Parts books in electronic form for 88 & 90 Reattas, '07 Crossie, '12 Jeep now. All fit on a single microSD. Paper ones take up about ten feet of shelf space. Like to have both.

Yeah, you pretty much have to do it in a VM for it to work well.  Otherwise you're installing gobs of outdated stuff on your system.  That's exactly what this dolt on eBay is doing, just packaging it up for you.

I`d love digital copies for my cars but had though alldata would have everything as well.

My CS FSM is falling apart from usage as best as I try and take care of it. Anyone ever drill out some holes and put an old FSM in a binder?

I`m hesitant to download torrent files that may be illegal, sort of paranoid about that but if you guys know where I could purchase at least a digital copy for the 1994 and well better make that a 1995 as well :dance: I dont mind paying for it.

OTOH, the parts-book included with the service manual is helpful.

So there is a source that lists every part number for some of our cars? If so where could I find one? Even in an Autozone we cannot look up a list for every availible part and I always thought that would be useful to have.

There used to be a torrent for GM EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). I can't find it any more though.

I have GM EPC on microfiche someone can have for price of shipping, but microfiche has to be taken to a local library for viewing/scanning.

I'd give away my old microfiche machine as well, but don't have a box big enough to ship it and I'd bet something that big would cost a fortune to ship.

The Detroit Iron service-manual-on-CD came with a scan of the GM parts book for that vehicle.  I was so disappointed in the service manual, I've spent no time researching whether the company is still in business, or if their product line still includes the parts book.

At any rate, the CD for my '66 Toronado included a scan of the parts book published years later, some parts were already discontinued or superceded.  The parts book was from '80, I think, and covered '75 and older Oldsmobiles.

I haven't worked with that CD for years.  I don't even know if it'll run on a newer Windows operating system.  I used to run it on an XP machine.

You find the right web sites, select reproduction parts manuals are available as paper reprints.  I haven't seen 'em, I won't vouch for the quality.

Paper books I have (SMs, Body manuals, Parts books, Delco radio, Rochester, etc, etc) but are hard to carry. Only one I am missing in digital format is the GTP. Ordered one on eBay but has not appeared & no response yet to query. Best are clear searchable .pdf format. Others are various formats but are clear. All can be printed and backed up.

Just got the 93 Grand Prix CD and for a sawbuck is pretty good. Print and figures are clear and contains both volumes but the format is strange. Instead of being in the normal order (6-engine, 8-schematics) it is alphabetized. e.g.

3.1L V6 vin T.pdf

3.4L V6 vin X.pdf

A engine vin id.pdf

abbreviations.pdf

ac compressor clutch controls.pdf

ac compressor overhaul.pdf

ac compressor refrigerant oil checking.pdf

and on for 101 files.

Also is a mixmash of data with some for a 5.7l VIN P engine but as a quick reference when the paper manuals are not available it seems better than some I've seen.

Edited by Padgett

I removed some posts here: Please do not discuss torrents or similar here. Take any conversations about those to private messages or another site.