Ultimate W-body Drivetrain Discussion Thread.

'93RegalGS3800

id like to drive a train through a W-body

lol

McPherson is a shitty compromise. we're doing a clean sheet chassis and are not able to make the McPherson stuff work so we are going with u/l a arms for a vastly superior geometry and fitment. yeah its gonna be tight as hell with the conventional coilovers and billet knuckles while trying to get as much steering angle as we can with the 16" rims and 12" rotor caliper position.

but with clean sheet knuckles I can let us use the F body calipers with the 11" rotors with 15" rims while allowing em to tuck in far. the goal is to try and shove 28x 16x15 slicks in back with 28x10x15 (at least....I hope) up front

id love to tuck 12" rims and still have 10-15* turning.

with the 16x8 crosslaces up front and 8-9" wide tires we should have no problem driving it on the street

its not easy to shove anything wider than the 10" rims and tires on the gm struts, not without massively changing the scrub radius

its also far easier to get anti dive geometry up front and anti squat out back.

plus there's the whole seal wiping issue of high hp cars and side loading on the strut tube/piston rod and seals.

we now get to sell a buncha brand new "baller" gm w body suspension stuff, monoball pins for roll center correction as well as for steering.

it was just too many compromises...and not enough suspension compression, nothing in double shear, etc.

its over-engineered to a T but we've been screwing with it for 14 years so we know exactly what we want lol

Sounds like you have a very good idea of what you want. I also like that you are pioneering custom chassis parts for these cars.

A stanley steamer engine with a tranny from a Semi that has enough gears to get it over 25 MPH

This...this is funny. I always thought steam was an obnoxious way to power a vehicle. You gotta let the thing warm up for 30 minutes before you can even drive it anywhere. The cloud of steam makes it hard for the people behind you to see.

I read in an old Mother Earh News about an old C-10 pickup that could run on pump gas and be switched over to run on woodchips on demand. It was odd seeing the workings for the burner part in the bed. Free fuel nonetheless. I don't think you could do that kind of thing with a newer car because of all the fuelinjection stuff.

I think someone used an f body frame or something as well... with a northstar

Never heard the Northstar one, although a Russian member did place a 4.6 Caddy engine into his 92 GP.

The F body frame is the RWD Lumina coupe that has the rear window that looks like a Fiero. A metal worker did that.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8994

Somebody posted a link to a RWD Monte Carlo article on my introduction post. That car had a lot of fab work go into it and it used a '95 Camaro for the floors. The fenders had to be widened so the wheels didn't poke out from the body.

I'll have to dig that post up and put the link in this thread. It was a good read.