Considering a Body Swap

Michael Savage

My 95 Monte Carlo in total needs about $1,500 of body work and a few random parts/switches, and complete suspension parts to get it back in perfect condition.

I have a 1997 Black 2 Door Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with 50,000ish miles on it. The original owner didn't keep up with the engine and ended up blowing gaskets on the engine and well long history short it needs a new engine. Body is pristine and interior as well.

Would it pay to just drop my engine in the car and swap to the couple of new sensors and EGR since the car itself is perfect?

And what all new sensors would I need?

Guy blew the Head gaskets and LIM. Gonna just swap my custom 3100 03 upper intake motor into in to it. What sensors do I need swapping from my OBD 1 95 to the 97 OBD2

The main problem is the sensors, but if they're both 3100, I doubt much changed between 95 and 97. At worst, you'll just end up using your 95 block and internals while having to swap over everything electrical from the 97.

The only sensor I can think of offhand would be the engine coolant temp sensor. The older most likely has the 2 sensor setup, and the 97 should have the 3 wire single sensor setup.

I would swap the engine itself from the monte into the Cutlass, reuse the cutlass wiring and pcm. You have the complete car so the sensors you KNOW are bad on the monte, replace those with ones for the 97 cutlass, then check the coolant temp sensor. Not sure what year the swapped from the 2 wire to the 3 wire, but the one on the cutlass might still be good.

I'm planning on putting my 95 engine in the 97 it's got all the best parts from the 95-2003 3100s.

I do have the 2 wire coolant sensors, guess that's just a direct swap, have to use the MAF and I guess that's it other than maybe the Crank Position Sensor? And the 2000-2005 EGR from the 3100.

Wouldn't this be an engine swap? Or are you taking the engine and dropping it out of the car, and then moving the other cars body onto it? :lol: At any rate, I'd swap in the engine and call it a day. It'll take a few new sensors, or you could obd2 swap it which would probably be beneficial anyway, but all in all that'd make the most sense. I could see spending $1500 to do this depending on how much you do yourself, so it depends on how much you like the monte. You could always find another engine that's obd1.5 and plop it right in, and then you'd have two cars that run and drive, and spend a little to fix up the monte.

I think he's dropping the engine with the subframe and then rolling the Monte Carlo away to roll the Cutlass on top of the Monte's subframe.

Regadless I think he just wants to do an engine swap. The issue here really is that he doesn't know what changed in 1997 (his new car is a 97) from 95 (the donor car's year).

Lol I'm swapping the engine into a new car. So yes it's an engine swap, but I consider it a body swap since I'm keeping my engine and not swapping in something new.

Okay let's call it an engine swap lol

In putting my new 3100 in a 97 Cutlass and need to know what sensors changed between 95 and 97 to swap on the new sensors. This way I'm getting a new car, and OBD 2 system I can get tuned to all the mods.