1996 Regal Gran Sport has Rough Idle and Hard Starting

R Holland

The IAT measures the incoming air temp to the intake. As we know, air density changes with air temperature, meaning the amount of oxygen in say a cubic foot of air will be less when the air is 100 degrees verses 32 degrees. So basically the computer uses the air temp to help determine air density and adjusts fuel ratio accordingly by lengthening or shortening the amount of time the fuel injector stays open. Symtoms of a bad IAT sensor are rough idle and longer cranking times. Both of which I still had after repairing everthing else. My '84 Trans Am with OBD1, used a BARO sensor or barometric sensor to deteremine air density. From there the computer would signal the mixture control solenoid on the carburetor to adjust how much the primary metering rods would open.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I did that in the beginning, but it didn't fix the issue. Since replacing the IAT sensor, the engine runs fine. I've been daily driving this car to work for the last 3 weeks with no problems. This car had a slew of issues when I first started working on it though. The girl I bought it from did no maintenance other then oil changes. I've replaced the plenum, intake gaskets, full tune up, pretty much every sensor was replaced due to either engine code coming on or diagnostics showing that it was failing.

does car have an inline metal fuel filter in rear tank area?? if so change it .= cold starts are usually due to a bad temp sender (computer) and many times there are more than 1 on engine. iac =?= did you read on how tio reset it after a new install?? need to. from some experience with fuel pumps- dont use a non-name brand pump!! Gm or napa is best as ive learned!! I also would start by checking all sensors on engine for the 5v reference input! likely there is a temp sender bad or an emissions sender thats not within specs. did u get any codes ??