Questions about amp wiring, looked at the sticky.

will_s95

On my 1995 Grand Prix Sedan, it appears that the rubber grommet is already occupied by the shift linkage, as my car has a bench seat with no center console.

I would really like to save myself 100 bucks at best buy by installing the wiring kit by myself. I did a search for people with the same issue, and found that people ran it through the same grommet next to the shift linkage. It seems like most people who did that though used 12 gauge or smaller wire. I have a 4awg amp kit with pretty thick wires, will I still be able to get it through the grommet next to the linkage? Preferably without breaking anything? Or should I drill somewhere else? This wouldn't be a problem as my KnuConceptz wiring kit came with a rubber grommet, but if I do need to drill, where should I do it? :think:

Thanks! Hoping for many more good times on these forums.

on the 95MC(bench seat, column shift), there is a grommet right by/behind the brake booster that i ran 2 8 guage wires through and still could have stuffed more in. not sure where the shift linkage runs relative to it, but i could probably grab a picture in the morning, if necessary.

That would be great if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you to throw up a quick picture. Thanks!

Edited by will_s95

went out and took a closer look, it is indeed the grommet that the shift linkage runs through(with a column shift anyways). in addition to the linkage, i was able to stuff 2 thickly insulated 8 guage wires through there with ease, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks! Much appreciated. Now once I get that done I get to start working on trim removal to get the cable ran under the carpet. I know it's gonna be worth it once it's all done!

oh yeah, I just did this not too long ago. I drilled a hole next to it. I think I used a step bit and grommet. ran 4 gauge.

wanna see a pic?

oh yeah, I just did this not too long ago. I drilled a hole next to it. I think I used a step bit and grommet. ran 4 gauge.

wanna see a pic?

Yeah, that would be awesome!

Thanks a ton for the pictures Garret. Ill get this started once she comes back form the shop, right rear passenger door got hit in a parking lot.

Thankfully they were insured, and my body shop sourced a rust-free door out of Oregon! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: surrendered and had best buy do it.

They actually did a decent job. They went through the shift grommet with a big long poker thing and they did a great job running the wire under the side trim. Everything was then shielded nicely.

There were also a few things they did that i did not like. First, they ran power and RCAs down the same side. Even though i'm not getting any alt whine, I know that doing this is a big no-no.

Another thing they did is screw my amp into the back of the box. I also know this is bad because vibrations can damage the amp and now there's un-neccisary holes in my box, plus possibility of vibration damage. It is also impossible to remove the box without disconnecting power, ground, remote, and RCAs from the amp.

I will propobly end up re locating the amp, but over all best buy did a decent job for around 100 bucks.