new guy to the forums with a 3400 motor and trans swap questions.

thelegend32

first off hello everyone my name is rich and new to the site. i have been doing alot of reading here and finally joined. i have owned 4 cutlass's and a few early 90s z24 cavaliers.

so here is my project. i have recently bought a 92 cutlass convertible with a 3.1 engine. the trans started shuddering and sometimes dotn even pull out in drive after making a stop it just revs. but if i manually put it into first and shift it is fine. so i wanna swap out the engine and trans since the trans i believe is on its way out. the car has 170,000 miles on it. i was gonna go the 3.8 supercharged route but didnt wanna get into all the extra stuff you have to do to hook it all up so i decided to go with a 3400. so here is my question. i found a wrecked 2002 pontiac motana and i would like to know if the engine and trans are a direct bolt in and will i have a noticible power gain and feel in the convertible? the convertible is heavy and the 3.1 is not nearly enough for that car. the big thing is will that trans from the montana bolt up in the cutlass and will everything run fine? does the trans have the same connectors and will it and the motor run fine on the 3.1 computer? thanks for all your guys help!! by the way the guy with the monanta said he guarentees the motor and trans are good. the motana has 112,000 on it and was wrecked in the front. he said cant be started because of the accident both air bags came out and it cut the fuel off to the engine.

The trans will not work. Your is a 4T60 which is a non-electronically controlled trans. You cannot put an electronically controlled trans in its place.

As far as the 3400 from a montana, stay away from it. That was the worst design for a 3400. The intake flow like crap. Get a 3400 from an Impala or Grand AM. Youll notice a good amount of power increase ( with the correct tune ) going from a 3.1 to a 3400

give me a month or two and i'll have my 7730TCM project finished, he would be able to control a 4T65 with that. :D

as far as drop-in transmissions where everything will work correctly without changing things out, 91-92 3.1 W-body 4T60 is it.

it is not a direct swap, but.....

I disagree with 19cutlass94. the earlier ones flow like crap. By 02 they should have the improved lower intake. There may be a question of the top plenum being the best or not, but that is easy to swap if you care.

The transmission can be used, too. You would need axles for a 4t65e equipped w-body (2000 chevy lumina for instance)

Physically, everything works, and being a U-van which is a deriviative of a second gen W, all the lower powertrain mounts work. Might have to figure out the upper dogbones...

the big issue is making it run. You could go with what Saar says, or use a 2000-2001 chevy lumina wiring harness and PCM, but have to modify the inside harness for it to function.

Edited by Crazy K

it is not a direct swap, but.....

I disagree with 19cutlass94. the earlier ones flow like crap. By 02 they should have the improved lower intake. There may be a question of the top plenum being the best or not, but that is easy to swap if you care.

The transmission can be used, too. You would need axles for a 4t65e equipped w-body (2000 chevy lumina for instance)

Physically, everything works, and being a U-van which is a deriviative of a second gen W, all the lower powertrain mounts work. Might have to figure out the upper dogbones...

the big issue is making it run. You could go with what Saar says, or use a 2000-2001 chevy lumina wiring harness and PCM, but have to modify the inside harness for it to function.

http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/articles/choosing-3100/3400-manifolds/cat_64.html

tl;dr: get 00 and 03 stamped LIMs and 00+ UIMs.

Thanks everyone for their input. So with all the answers i have skipped the idea of buying the van. if i am gonna do wiring i am gonna swap in a 3800 sc. Is there a write up on swapping that engine trans in a cutlass vert?. also who can i get ahold of to make me a wire harness to do the swap? Thanks rich

If you get one from a W-body, you will have the right mounts and all, but that can be swapped off any series 2 w-body as needed. If you get an engine not from a W, you may also need to change the oil filter adapter.

You would need gen 1/1.5 front axles, as mentioned, from an 00 lumina or 98-99 MC with 3800. The harness you will need for the swap if you use the 4t65e is from a 98-99 montecarlo with 3800 only.

You might be able to run with a stock 98-02 GTP PCM on a 98-99 MC harness. Saar, can you confirm?