My Olds...it's not blue anymore

hotrodolds

I can tell the fenders still don't line up quite right, but how much work did it take to get it to line up as well as it does?

Also, how come you didn't paint it with the cladding off of it? Is it better not to take them off?

(Holy crap, DOHCRagtopguy, who's that in your latest avatar?!?! :drool:)

There is about seventeen hours in those two fenders. What we forgot about was the lower parts affecting the fit somewhat, and it did. At this point, there is little that can be done to fix it. They stick out past the doors a tick, so at the least, wind noise shouldn't be a problem. Taking the cladding off would have just added another bunch of clips that would break. We already didn't spray the jambs, and underside of the decklid, and all that. Believe it or not, in one of those pics, a couple other people said they would have done a color change, so apparently, it's not DEAD obvious. We looked at it from a couple other angles, and a casual passerby may not notice, so that's cool. When we do the hood, though, it'll get hit on both sides.

17-hours, did you do it yourself or pay to have it done? So was there any cutting and welding involved, or mostly pounding and shaping?

Got any in-progress pics of the fenders being done?

Your determination to make them fit is very impressive!

The body shop manager at work here did it off the books, and after hours. There was cutting invovled. On my Cardomain page, there are some progress pics. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/924507/9 is the progress pages.

Well, by the time we realized that we had this problem, we were committed to making it fit. There were no other options. I'd messed up some of the sedan front clip, just enough to not reuse it. I'm happy.

very cool! i am interested to see how the front clip looks like! the color is very very cool! just gotta keep it clean, otherwise, it is gonna be a little rough....hehehehehhee....

awesome car! awesome paint! i am jealous! i need to do something along those lines...but prolly not....

I've got the back half of the car done. Got the windows cleaned up, and everything from the front doors back is back on the car. The body colored mirrors are really sharp.

th_Coupeconversion223.jpg

th_Coupeconversion224.jpg

th_Coupeconversion225.jpg

th_Coupeconversion226.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If the motor is fine, then where did the water come from? That much water doesn't get into the oil by accident. Better give it another look over otherwise you'll be replacing the motor/bearings before you put the hood on.

Paint looks sweet. I'm with everyone else though about the wheels. I say you strip all the paint off your wheels and do polished aluminum.

The water was condensation. The car had sat in an unheated garage for three months prior to this, with just little short runs of the engine. It is gonna get a workout this weekend. I do have another shortblock sitting here for just in case.

Car looks sweet! Wish I could do that kinda shit! Never understood why olds didn't make the 4-doors with the same nose as the coupe, I like that look much better! I'm with everone else on the wheels though, I'm partial to the original-type 5-spokes.

Oh, I'd give anything to afford a set of five spokes, and then paint them, too! Those are my favorite Cutty wheels.

They don't cost more than $100 at a yard....

They are incredibly hard to find around here. I'm seeing $50+/each on eBay. Money is incredibly tight at this point, so I don't even bother looking.