TGP Engine Nightmare, Need Help!

dbtk2

I've never heard of this valve your friend is talking about. Could he have been talking about a Blow-Off Valve (BOV)? That's the only sort of valve I've ever seen added to a TGP.

It is not a BOV. It is a valve, like one that you would use to turn the water on or off in your house. The further it is open the more vacuum it allows through. You put it in the vacuum line and it allows you to restrict the amount of vacuum going through so you can turn up your boost, or at least that is how I understood it when he explained it to me. He used it on his Neon or something and suggested it to me.

Sounds like something that is used for boost stacking :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it's called a boost controller. It's basically just a little valve that is adjustable so that you can make more or less boost flow to the wastegate actuator. If you close the valve so it flows less air then the turbo will make more boost.

I wouldn't suggest using one though as the TGP has a wastegate actuator that is set around 4 psi. That's a very low setting and there is a reason for that. When the ecm detects detonation is can pull out the timing, and it can reduce the amount of boost to 4 psi. Very good thing as it almost ensures that you're car won't blow up if you let the ecm controll boost. If you connect the line coming off of the compressor side of the turbo to the wastegate actuator the car should run 4 psi. If you're dead set on trying a boost controller one can be made from a needle valve from HomeDepot for cheap, or you can make grainger valve type boost controller. Like I said though I wouldn't use one on a TGP.

OK, so we installed the new boost controller today. Took the old one off, and I could blow in it through any hole and it would come out another, so I figured, wow its bad, cool. It also had a hole in the bottom of it where the new one had a plug, as soon as I saw those few things I thought it would fix it. NOPE. I don't know if the computer has to learn it or something (I highly doubt it) be we drove it around the block. Pulled out of the Neighborhood and nailed it and it gets a whopping 2psi according to the guage, although now it shifts by itself, after you wait for it to hit redline (which takes FOREVER). It actually runs pretty good under 4000rpms, but above that it has no power, especially with only 2psi (according to the guage). I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. It could be the crossover pipe, but could it make it THAT bad. The car has something like 113,000 miles on it and has the stock crossover, but I don't think it could be that bad. I am thinking maybe the computer is going into its mode where it only lets it get 4psi or something (and the guage is off), and if so, how can I test that??? As before, ANY SUGGESTIONS would be great. Thank You!

The vacuum modulator for the trans is just to the right of the coil packs (as looking from the front of the car). The steel line running from the plenum neck down runs to it. At the end of the steel line is a check valve T. The 3 legs of the T are: 1)open, 2)steel line from plenum, 3) vacuum modulator. The open leg is there to bleed pressure off (under boost). If you unplug the T from the modulator and trans fluid runs out then the modulator is bad.

I tried to check this but I can't find exactly where it is since space is limited because of the stock air filter. I know where the coil packs are, but I don't know where to look from there. If you could describe better, that would be great, and pics would be even better.

Shawn

Since we're on the subject of vacuum modulators, does anyone know the part # for one? :D :wink: I'm going to see if a new modulator will fix the random problem I have where the car does not shift under WOT.

Not that it matters...the tranny will be rebuilt this winter anyway. :lol:

Thank you Chris A. I will look into that tommarow, and see. How is it supposed to be. Is there supposed to be a vacuum line coming off of it or not or what? Please explain so I know exactly what it should be like.