Loudcut's CUTLASS Project Thread (UPDATE: Tint Pictures Yo!)

97loudcut

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• jeremy

ok, not all of them are complete morons, but most are. Telling me that the oil filter I have in my hand is the wrong one for my "3100 V6" I said no, it's the right one. I have a 3.1 MPFI for my Lumina. He goes "a 94? it's got the 3100, you need this filter" :roll: dumbfucks

Autozone told me that their waterpumps for a 74 VW bug were on backorder!!! :willynilly:

ROFL!!! Yea when i worked at O'Reilly, VatoZone was the place we'd prank call just to get a laugh. Like a radiator for a 70's Bug, or polyurethane camshafts, muffler bearings, etc.

hey hey enuff with the dissing on autozone im a grayshirt their... i gotta admit there is some dumbfucks(sorry to get off topic) this one dude at my store, i go hide in the back and call the store from my cell and disguise my voice, i tell him i took my 83 CORVETTE to a mufflers shop and they told me i need muffler bearings cause my exhaust was rattling and dumb fuck starts looking it up and suggests is more than likely a dealer only part, i got him with the thermostat for a 69 kharman ghia too...

Royal Purple 10W30 (5qts.) - $36.99

you got royal purple from autozone wtf? how come we dont carry it?

hey hey enuff with the dissing on autozone im a grayshirt their... i gotta admit there is some dumbfucks(sorry to get off topic) this one dude at my store, i go hide in the back and call the store from my cell and disguise my voice, i tell him i took my 83 CORVETTE to a mufflers shop and they told me i need muffler bearings cause my exhaust was rattling and dumb fuck starts looking it up and suggests is more than likely a dealer only part, i got him with the thermostat for a 69 kharman ghia too...

Which Autozone do you work at? The one I usually go to, (I-95/Centennial across from Shell) I told the lady there I needed a serpentine belt for the GTP and she insisted that a supercharger belt is what I was looking for :lol:

Anywho, back to our regular scheduled thread :biggrin:

Which Autozone do you work at? The one I usually go to, (I-95/Centennial across from Shell) I told the lady there I needed a serpentine belt for the GTP and she insisted that a supercharger belt is what I was looking for :lol:

lamb and washington

Call me crazy and tell me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking about the exhaust setup (not just for loudcut but for myself). Now without getting into ideal exhaust flow rate and whatnot, my main idea was to find a pipe size AFTER the Y split that would keep exhaust velocity about equal to the pipe BEFORE the Y-split. Now '89-90 TGP, '91 3.1 cars and '91-96 3.4L DOHC cars had a stock 2 1/4" single pipe, going to a Y split, then to a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers. '92-96 W-bodies with the 3.1 and duals had a single 2" exhaust pipe, going to a Y split, then into a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers.

I can't see anything good coming from slowing the exhaust down. You can think of the Y-split as like having one smaller pipe, dumping into a larger pipe.

I did some rough calculations using "generic" numbers. I picked 5 CFM flow-rate as the number to use. Assuming a 2.5" pipe, at 5cfm I'd get a velocity of 147 ft/min. Now to keep things simple, lets assume the Y-split is equal, and each pipe would get exactly half of the exhaust flow (probably not, but whatever). Now we'll use the flow rate number 2.5 CFM, with a velocity of 147 ft/min. I got a number of 1.77" Diameter pipe for after the Y-split.

So going with a 2.5" pipe setup from the downpipe to the Y-split, then to a pair of 2" to the muffler, may be an ideal design, ASSUMING 2.5" exhaust would be ideal for YOUR engine. Thoughts?

I am popping this in here so I remember to get back to it...

I was in the Navy for 6. Nuclear Power Field. Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow are like elementary math to me. Couple of things you have to think about also on this.

As the exhaust moves down the pipe, it cools considerably causing it to lose volume. This, alone causes it to slow down the rate. This is why a lot of people are starting to go with rear turbo installed because you don't need an intercooler (just another thought for later).

I would like to know what would be the optimum flow rate would be. I don't have a clue as to where to get that single piece of info.

Going to bed...

Awsome ride, Matt! I have had my Cutty for almost a month now and I can't wait to get working on it for real. First thing...brakes!

Don

To whomever asked me about the downpipe, I am getting a 2.5" one made.

Hey just an FYI. I was browsing(dreaming) through wbodystore.com last night, and saw that their 2.5" downpipes will bolt up to 3800,3400, and 3100 motors. :cool:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/w-body-store-25-downpipe-p-181.html?osCsid=89e9dda441ae1c35b02663be05721568

Call me crazy and tell me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking about the exhaust setup (not just for loudcut but for myself). Now without getting into ideal exhaust flow rate and whatnot, my main idea was to find a pipe size AFTER the Y split that would keep exhaust velocity about equal to the pipe BEFORE the Y-split. Now '89-90 TGP, '91 3.1 cars and '91-96 3.4L DOHC cars had a stock 2 1/4" single pipe, going to a Y split, then to a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers. '92-96 W-bodies with the 3.1 and duals had a single 2" exhaust pipe, going to a Y split, then into a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers.

I can't see anything good coming from slowing the exhaust down. You can think of the Y-split as like having one smaller pipe, dumping into a larger pipe.

I did some rough calculations using "generic" numbers. I picked 5 CFM flow-rate as the number to use. Assuming a 2.5" pipe, at 5cfm I'd get a velocity of 147 ft/min. Now to keep things simple, lets assume the Y-split is equal, and each pipe would get exactly half of the exhaust flow (probably not, but whatever). Now we'll use the flow rate number 2.5 CFM, with a velocity of 147 ft/min. I got a number of 1.77" Diameter pipe for after the Y-split.

So going with a 2.5" pipe setup from the downpipe to the Y-split, then to a pair of 2" to the muffler, may be an ideal design, ASSUMING 2.5" exhaust would be ideal for YOUR engine. Thoughts?

I was in the Navy for 6. Nuclear Power Field. Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow are like elementary math to me. Couple of things you have to think about also on this.

As the exhaust moves down the pipe, it cools considerably causing it to lose volume. This, alone causes it to slow down the rate. This is why a lot of people are starting to go with rear turbo installed because you don't need an intercooler (just another thought for later).

I would like to know what would be the optimum flow rate would be. I don't have a clue as to where to get that single piece of info.

Going to bed...

Awsome ride, Matt! I have had my Cutty for almost a month now and I can't wait to get working on it for real. First thing...brakes!

Don

I had thought of that too, but don't know how to compensate for that when trying to determine the best pipe size.

Hey just an FYI. I was browsing(dreaming) through wbodystore.com last night, and saw that their 2.5" downpipes will bolt up to 3800,3400, and 3100 motors. :cool:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/w-body-store-25-downpipe-p-181.html?osCsid=89e9dda441ae1c35b02663be05721568

Did they make the flange universal or something? Only because the 3800 flange bolts are about 3/8" wider apart. So unless they compensated for this, it's not gonna line up.

Nice find though! I may look into this as an alternative to making my own.

Did they make the flange universal or something? Only because the 3800 flange bolts are about 3/8" wider apart. So unless they compensated for this, it's not gonna line up.

Nice find though! I may look into this as an alternative to making my own.

ya know I'm not sure, my guess is they made a universal flange for it, or they have flanges made for each application. Maybe you'll have to specify when you order or something?

Going to bed...

Don

I had thought of that too, but don't know how to compensate for that when trying to determine the best pipe size.

So what are you guys saying? Pipe size affects velocity of the exhaust?

Isn't it best to get the exhaust gases out ASAP?!

Yes and yes, Tony.

You are looking for a balance of exhaust gas velocity, mass flow rate, and pressure.

The idea of "tapering" down your exhaust pipe diameter usually works pretty well. It helps account for the temperature decrease and subsequent density increase of the exhaust gas. Example: 2.5" downpipe, 2.25" downpipe to muffler. That's just an example and is purely made up.