Loudcut's CUTLASS Project Thread (UPDATE: Tint Pictures Yo!)

97loudcut

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• jeremy

then i can jack it and steal all the parts for my new cutty

Then I will kill anyone and everyone you ever loved.. a paint your Lumina camouflage

:lol:

then i can jack it and steal all the parts for my new cutty

Then I will kill anyone and everyone you ever loved.. a paint your Lumina camouflage

you have to get through me first..

...geez, another 9 page loudcut post

Call me crazy and tell me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking about the exhaust setup (not just for loudcut but for myself). Now without getting into ideal exhaust flow rate and whatnot, my main idea was to find a pipe size AFTER the Y split that would keep exhaust velocity about equal to the pipe BEFORE the Y-split. Now '89-90 TGP, '91 3.1 cars and '91-96 3.4L DOHC cars had a stock 2 1/4" single pipe, going to a Y split, then to a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers. '92-96 W-bodies with the 3.1 and duals had a single 2" exhaust pipe, going to a Y split, then into a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers.

I can't see anything good coming from slowing the exhaust down. You can think of the Y-split as like having one smaller pipe, dumping into a larger pipe.

I did some rough calculations using "generic" numbers. I picked 5 CFM flow-rate as the number to use. Assuming a 2.5" pipe, at 5cfm I'd get a velocity of 147 ft/min. Now to keep things simple, lets assume the Y-split is equal, and each pipe would get exactly half of the exhaust flow (probably not, but whatever). Now we'll use the flow rate number 2.5 CFM, with a velocity of 147 ft/min. I got a number of 1.77" Diameter pipe for after the Y-split.

So going with a 2.5" pipe setup from the downpipe to the Y-split, then to a pair of 2" to the muffler, may be an ideal design, ASSUMING 2.5" exhaust would be ideal for YOUR engine. Thoughts?

Here are some more pictures of the tires. I know they are blurry but it was outside and it is cold out.. I was shaking considering I was in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

IMGP0155.jpg

IMGP0156.jpg

Don't stare at this one too long, you'll get a headache! :bonk:

IMGP0157.jpg

Call me crazy and tell me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking about the exhaust setup (not just for loudcut but for myself). Now without getting into ideal exhaust flow rate and whatnot, my main idea was to find a pipe size AFTER the Y split that would keep exhaust velocity about equal to the pipe BEFORE the Y-split. Now '89-90 TGP, '91 3.1 cars and '91-96 3.4L DOHC cars had a stock 2 1/4" single pipe, going to a Y split, then to a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers. '92-96 W-bodies with the 3.1 and duals had a single 2" exhaust pipe, going to a Y split, then into a pair of 2" pipes to the mufflers.

I can't see anything good coming from slowing the exhaust down. You can think of the Y-split as like having one smaller pipe, dumping into a larger pipe.

I did some rough calculations using "generic" numbers. I picked 5 CFM flow-rate as the number to use. Assuming a 2.5" pipe, at 5cfm I'd get a velocity of 147 ft/min. Now to keep things simple, lets assume the Y-split is equal, and each pipe would get exactly half of the exhaust flow (probably not, but whatever). Now we'll use the flow rate number 2.5 CFM, with a velocity of 147 ft/min. I got a number of 1.77" Diameter pipe for after the Y-split.

So going with a 2.5" pipe setup from the downpipe to the Y-split, then to a pair of 2" to the muffler, may be an ideal design, ASSUMING 2.5" exhaust would be ideal for YOUR engine. Thoughts?

I hear ya. My thinking is the same. Gradually decreasing the pipe diameter is the way to go.

Oh my god Matt- ur not in any of the pics!! I think I might just light myself on fire and jump out the window!! :willynilly: LOL

It would be much better if he would switch places with his girl when taking these part pics. Get her in front of the camera instead of behind it. She photographs well, trust me on this one..... :leaving:

I hear ya. My thinking is the same. Gradually decreasing the pipe diameter is the way to go.

I was sorta thinking the same thing myself. Using some simple Fluids calculations makes everything nice.

I still say a 2.5" downpipe to the cat, then 2.25" after the cat. I think the cat will slow it down JUST enough to warrant the 2.25" piping back. Then, as Brian said, use 2" from the Y.

Oh my god Matt- ur not in any of the pics!! I think I might just light myself on fire and jump out the window!! :willynilly: LOL

It would be much better if he would switch places with his girl when taking these part pics. Get her in front of the camera instead of behind it. She photographs well, trust me on this one..... :leaving:

i agree bout the switching of the pics

i agree bout the switching of the pics

x2

can you get a close-up of the sticker & the sidewall!?...i'm really curious as to where they're made now!

The sticker didn't say where they were made.. but I haven't checked the sidewall yet!

can you get a close-up of the sticker & the sidewall!?...i'm really curious as to where they're made now!

The sticker didn't say where they were made.. but I haven't checked the sidewall yet!

Well hurry it up dammit, and start driving on them so we can get some feedback. You've got me real curious about these tires, im considering buying them in 245/45/18 trim and storing them til i get the rims i want. they'll be over $150 cheaper than the tires i currently wanted!

and i cant find them anywhere else but Ebay. tirerack, dicounttiredirect, nor onlinetires has them.

Quick question, but what does it matter if it's made in the USA or not. As I can guarantee that atleast 75% of the materials for the tires came from other countries.