1993 3.4 DOHC interfering or noninterfering?

NORBI

I have a 1993 CS with 3.4 DOHC and timing belt is broken, i remember reading some time ago here that it doesnt hit the valves when belt breaks and my mechanics computer programm he uses tells him that its interfering and that it bends valves so what is wright and should i expect bend valves or not. Help me 3.4 owners.

Until '96 (and even that's somewhat debatable) it's non-interference.

True, but untrue. All 3.4 dohc's are interference at about 3500 rpm and up, and I've even heard of a '95 snapping it at 5000 rpm and not bending valves(but I think he got lucky).

So, what RPM were you at when it broke?

i lost the tensioner actuator at 6,000 and didn't bend any. and drove it with sloppy-ass timing belt for 3 miles trying to limp home. didn't hurt a thing. but finally jumped time far enough that it quit running.

i dont know about what rpms it broke since i bought it like that and actually the belt didnt really break but tensioner broke on it and owner i got the car from he doesnt know how it happened since the car was abandoned and he got it as a payment for some work he did long story. But my mechanics computer tells him that those engines bend valves so i hope that it is not in my case. And yes what Never Sarisfied said it same car from ebay that i got.

91-95 are non-interferance. 96,97 are supposibly interferance.

i better not break the belt again! :lol:

although, I should have a good 70k before I even think about that (at this rate thatll take another 9 years!)

the belt for the 96 was much more durable. There have been people who have broken belts on 96 and were in the clear, even though it was supposed to be an interference engine. There have been people who have broken belts on pre 96 at various engine speeds and most have not bent valves. Those on the pre 96 who bend valves usually have belt failure at higher RPMs

The car has started today so its not interfering engine, it was started for the 1st time in 5 years of sitting outside with hood open, a lot of smoke came out and wasnt an easy start at first, but it has some knocking in it sounds like a camshaft ticking, we will see how it gets after a while becasue the longer it runs the quieter it gets a little, but its ALIVE>

:lol: sounds like a fun! mine had some horrible tick when i first started it back up with the new engine in (only driven about 4 miles before that, back from the mechanics, and once around the block thats about 2 miles) Made sure it had oil and everything, went inside for like 3 seconds, came back out and haven;t heard any more ticks or anything since (other than the rattling cat!)

run some "reslone" (i think thats how its spelled) through it, you can buy it at any auto parts store, its merely a detergent to clean out the oiling system and not break down the oil in the process.