Flashing LED

rshissler

You guys of so little faith!

I just tried my theory since there are so many disbelievers. Super easy since the stereo is out of my car, and it works perfectly. I have a spare aftermarket stereo connector, so I just hooked up an LED and resistor to it using alligator clips.

All you need is:

1. Blinking LED

2. Resistor

If you can find a blinking LED with built-in resistor, then even simpler! Nothing else! No relays, no running wires underhood.

Only wires you need access to are switched power, and constant power. Negative terminal of LED goes to switched power. Positive terminal of LED goes to resistor, other end of resistor goes to constant power.

Ignition on = LED off.

Ignition off = LED on.

Can't get any simpler than that, folks, and nothing else draining power but the LED.

Depends on the LED, got specs for it?

If not, I've figured generically that around 600-ohms would work.

I used a 1K LED just because that's what I had handy, but the LED wasn't as bright as it should have been.

• 1 month later...

what i did to do what your talking a out was running a speaker wire from the fuse box to power the LED. you'll have to find 2 fuses that work the way you want, i dont remeber the ones i used, but basically one of them will ground the circuit, or u could just ground it yourself to a screw, and the other will provide current only when the ignition is off. Just wire that up to one of the blinking LEDs from radio shack for a nice low brightness blink, or get some solder and make urself a nice little chip board and put in what ever LED you want. Ive seen some sweet creations using this method, including one set up that had the driver side fade out while the passenger side faded in, and vice-versa. Definatly drew my attention, for a good couple mintues. didnt have anything too good though, i had to take a peek. good luck.

-jp