Ya'll called it impossible, i called it a challenge

92 GP

THATS FUCKING AWESOME DUDE!!!!!

I was thinking of doing something similar, and just about as time consuming as what you are attempting there. I have the same rims, save mine are just solid silver... I love the shine on the crosslaces there... but how would it hold up to corrosin, I wonder? (That's what clearcoat is for, right?)

Anyways, I was going to go through mine and paint the insides of the rim with red to contrast against the silver, like the gold and black ones on the special editions, right? But with the fact that I'm changing the color of my car, I'd hate to go back and have to redo all of that at a later date.

Seeing you making this attempt, though, gives me GREAT inspiration to undertake this harrowing but thorougly rewarding task.

**EDIT**

You guys are saying the gold color is "tough as shit" to get off... is the silver any less difficult? That looks like it would be awesome to do to my own rims... though I'm not going to steal the idea without consulting the creator, first, lol...

My mom's got a dremel I could use to pull the top silver off... and I wouldn't have any problems polishing it on my own... but the inserts are definitely going to have the color changed on them, I've been planning that for a year now.. it's just getting the time to jack the car up, set it on a stand on that side, pull the wheel & tire off, take it into the garage, and get busy. Plus its mighty friggin cold right now... and the rims are on the car every day, lol.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 92 GP

• Prospeeder

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• EviLette

The silver is just the wheel with clear coat for you, so its easy, the Gold and white is Powdercoat fromt he factory and is pretty difficult to get off, seeing as i stipped and repainted mine, im powdercoating mine soon, paint was the worst idea ever :(

Mine ARE painted/powder coated in some way or another. The silver color is a two-tone silver... like the gold has different colors and a texture to it, the silver is the same way. It is paint because there are places where it's chipping off, but knowing it will be easier to remove is a definite plus.

What about on the inserts? Should I worry about stripping the paint from in there, or just leave it, since I am planning to paint inside them again? Just clean them really well before applying paint, I suppose.

As long as the "face" is smooth that's all that matters. If there's leftover paint on the inserts (inside area?) nobody will notice that anyways, especially if they are black.

As long as the "face" is smooth that's all that matters. If there's leftover paint on the inserts (inside area?) nobody will notice that anyways, especially if they are black.

That's what I figured. I think what i was gonna do was soak 'em down with my degreaser really well, then hit 'em with a pressure washer... then bring it home (mind you, I'll be transporting the tire/wheel in the back of my mom's SUV) and blow it out with the blower tool on the air compressor to dry it off... then paint the inside of it first, clearcoat it really well... THEN go through and clean off the tops, that way I don't have to backtrack to clean shit off after spending all of that time polishing. Even though it may reduce the shine a bit, I think I'm still going to mask off the outside aluminum and spray over the inside with the glow spray that makes 'em reflective like signs in the dark... maybe I'll do that before the clearcoat on the inserts of the wheels... I dunno. LOL

Definitely... caliper paint or engine paint was my thought... it's way more durable... and that was the main thought I was going with... but I think it would look awesome with the black in the back and the shining bling up front... And it would probably get me some hood status.

My boyfriend is half black. Rims are everything. LMAO.

not quite so PC but he'd laugh at the statement.

You're gonna want to use some aircraft paint stripper or something to try to get some of the paint off. Just powerwashing them I don't think the paint will stick that well...

I used VHT caliper paint, it's not bad but I'm gonna put another coat or 2 and clearcoat this time, cause theres a few chips here and there...

holy crap, didn't even know this thread was still moving!!

But if you want, i can put up pics of exactly how i was doing it. Angle die grinder = t3h w1n f0 5h0

BTW it came out FRICKEN SWEET. i need to get more pics. The inserts are solid black, polished lip, polished face. OMFG

I started grinding my shitty wheel over the weekend... my compressor is small as hell so I got kind of fed up and didn't get too far. I think I might have figured out what I want to do with those wheels though... 8) I just wonder how they'll look on a white car...

I also will be getting pics... as soon as I can locate my pos camera.

Even though it may reduce the shine a bit, I think I'm still going to mask off the outside aluminum and spray over the inside with the glow spray that makes 'em reflective like signs in the dark...

I bought that stuff at Wal-Mart for $15, have yet to use it though...

clearly not finished, just wanted to see how it'd look for myself on my junk wheel.

about half of what's done was just hit with my high abrasion disc on the die grinder. The better looking stuff was hit with the least abrasive disc I have, and only that. I tried wetsanding with 1500 and it actually looked worse, using actual metal polish might prove otherwise though.

and I know the black needs to be repainted anyway. these are from the TGP - two owners ago. The gold was never stripped either, just painted over.

As unsure as I was about swapping the 5 spokes for the crosslaces, I think this will end the debate...

Lookin pretty good man. Too much work for me to do on a junk wheel :lol:

As unsure as I was about swapping the 5 spokes for the crosslaces, I think this will end the debate...

IMG_9654%20(Medium).jpg

That's always my defense when people here yack at me about my wheels... "get new ones" blah blah. I'm like, shut up bitch. They're wider than your aftermarkets and mine are STOCK :lol:

Lookin pretty good man. Too much work for me to do on a junk wheel :lol:

It's really not that bad. The only reason I didn't finish is because our compressor is ridiculasly small so I could only run it for about a minute at a time before it was ineffective.

That's always my defense when people here yack at me about my wheels... "get new ones" blah blah. I'm like, shut up bitch. They're wider than your aftermarkets and mine are STOCK :lol:

tell me about it :lol: I think they generally look good, and you can't beat them for handling, not for the price and availability anyway.

Yeah, it looks ike you found the right way to do it, Anthony. 8) Now do that on the good ones! However, I recommend even going higher than 1500 (I think I posted here before about that) and get some polishing wheels for the die grinder and use some Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish to shine them up. They will look AWESOME when completed. 8)

Also, to preserve your fingers from looking like this:

normal_100_4664.JPG

I recommend using a small block of wood wrapped with sandpaper. :lol:

you CAN do that, but actually, what i found works the BEST, absolute BEST is a sponge type disk on a die grinder. It was most effective in REALLY smoothing out all those little inverted nipples, and went pretty quick! It's flexible too, so that you don't have to try to WORK to get it flat. That thing kicks ass, can get'em for like $8ish at a local hardware store (mine's Ace) and it lasted for a good job on three wheels. Still have some left, but i'm surprised!

Then went to a sanding disk with 400, then 800, then 1000, etc, i went in stages upto 2000, then polished the fuck out of it :D

I can usually pick up a 3 pack of those sponge sanders for like $10, in all grit grades.

Those things work great, especially on body work!

Hell yea! I guess i just said that mine was $8 because i had to get one WITH the attachment to attach to the drill/die grinder.

They work AWESOME though!