';';

Invasion1

Ebay has the Willams eprom programmers for cheap. Payed about a total of 40 for mine.

You can get the Motes Emulator for a good price.

I've have a full document(not too detailed) of the 8f chip work and a continuing modefied 8f.ecu file using win bin. (FREE)

The flea markets/computer shops around town have some good $50 PII PCs.

Just find a way...thats all.

If you can tune a carbed vehicle..you can tune a EFI vehicle.

If you can tune a carbed vehicle..you can tune a EFI vehicle.

But you can't tune-a-fish :lol: Man I got to quit taking the wife's pain pills :fruity:

Yes dear, I am done on the PC, coming dear :bonk:

Later guys :)

Jeff M

Ahhh, sweet, then you have an pretty good idea 8) The below might help expand that understanding, and has some tuning tips to try as well.

Some think of the components of PID this way; where P/Proportional is shown to affect system control stiffness, and I/Integral affects accuracy, and D/Derivative affects stability. Others go with P as Gain, I as Reset and D as Rate.

This part is correct. It is a little harder to understand just what the terms mean, as you can see below.

Another way if I am remembering correctly is P is the primary rate of change, I is how fast the changes is allowed to be made and D is the kick in the ass if neither is getting the job done. So if boost is 1 psi and we want boost to be 2 psi then P can make a change pretty easy if it’s a small number, but if we want to shoot from 1 psi to 10 psi, then P by itself will not make it so D allows it to jump its change rate to achieve 10psi, but neither will work after the change is attempted and I is needed to smooth out the surges of the controller basically chasing its tail; oops I was 1psi and want 10psi but now got 12 psi, back it off, shit got 8 psi, try again, damn, 12 psi again.

Jeff M

This is not an explanation of the terms listed for PID above. To make PID easy to understand in one post is kind of tough, but see if this helps.

P = Proportional

I = Integral

D= Derivative

All these values are derived from the error term in a system. The error term comes from the difference in SP (Set Point) and the PV (Process Variable), so the error term is equal to SP-PV.

The Proportional term is determined from the amount (or size) of the error term.

For an example, imagine a temperature controller for a large temperature contolled space. If the system temp is low, the system heater will come on to make the system temp rise. If the system temp is high, the system cooler will come on to cool the system temp. If the temp is perfect, neither heating or cooling will come on, as the error term is zero.

Now to understand the proportional, there is a controller bandwidth. Say the bandwidth is 10 degrees. This means that if the temp is 10 degrees off, the controller term is causing the heater (or cooler) to command 100% of its ability to heat (or cool). If the error is low, say only 1 degree off, the proportional is causing only 10% of the heater (or cooler) to be used. If 5 degrees off, the controller wil command 50% of heating (or cooling) to come on. As you can see, the controller's proportional commands are proportional to the amount of error in the system temp.

Integral

OK, so what is wrong with just proportional control? It has an error due to the fact that as the closer that the system temp comes the the desired temp (SP-PV), the error term approaches zero. So this means with little error, there is little correction. This means that the proportional only control will always have a small amount of error. This error gets "integrated" by the controller, and the controller will "reset" the controller set point to be slightly higher (or lower) to compensate for this droop in the proportional control. See where the term "reset" comes from?

Derivative

This term is looking at the rate of change of the error term and applies correction in the sign opposite the error term. If the error term is not changing, there is no derivative correction. If the error term is changing, say from the PV approaching the SP, then the derivative will change the correction applied to help keep the controller from overshooting the SP. Or if the system temp is upset by a quick dive or rise in temp, the derivative can apply correction to quickly restore PV to the SP.

In a fast response system, the derivative term usually is not needed, as it can easily cause system instabilty.

Now, what does this have to do with the TGP controller? Nothing.

The TGP does not use a PID controller, but uses a real simple system of stepper control. Once in boost, it starts with an initial PWM to the boost controller solenoid. Then it checks for boost error and if not in the boost control deadband, it will take steps to add to or subtract from the solenoid PWM value to get to the desired boost table values. Real simple.

If there are large changes in RPM or TPS, it will reset the control solenoid to the initial table value, and then take steps again to get within the boost deadband. No proportional, no integral, no derivative.

Scot