60* Engine Mods for NewBs

topless94style

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,I guess I have a little experience in this topic, I rebuilt a lot of engines in the 10 years I worked at a production engine shop.I am not going to argue about any points..just a little info. First,a windage tray helps to scavage the oil flying around in the oil pan from the rotating mass,mainly the rods, and dripping the oil back in the pan,and helps considerably with the addition of baffles you can mig weld to the sides of the pan especially towards the rear of the engine to keep the oil from sloshing up into the rotating mass under hard excelleration and keeping the oil in the pan for the pickup to use.It would be just like sitting on the side of a swimming pool kicking your feet in the water (without the baffle)and with the baffle, pulling your legs from the water. Another point is, decreasing the weight of the rotating mass has two benefits.Yes it makes the car lighter but also decreases the rev time to top end,i.e. lighter mass-faster spin. As for "stroking" an engine,shorter the stroke-higher the h.p.-longer the stroke-higher torque.It's a give and take situation,having done many stroker engines-all chevy small blocks,the 2.8 crank having a shorter stoke will just basically get you to red line faster with no other real benefits and to get it to 3.4L,the block would have to be sleeved (block bored into the water jackets and a cast iron sleeve pressed in). very uneconomical for this application,but if your serious,400 s.b.c. has an 5.780 length I believe and yes- pistons will have to be custom, and if the rod has bushings inserted in the small end can be modified to fit this application. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's worth mentioning for 2.8/3.1 owners that using a cone filter style WAI is a very bad idea on a stock engine.

Other engines like the 3800 and I think the Gen 3 60's don't react the same way and can actually benefit, however.

Guest Anonymous

No, the 3100 is a turd with a cone too. I noticed a 1-2 second INCREASE in 0-60 times with a cone, as opposed to a stock, dirty AC Delco filter. In fact, my car was faster with ancient plugs and wires and that dirty AC filter, than it was with new AC Delco plugs, new wires, and a perfectly clean cone. Sound doesn't always mean power...

At one point I removed the entire snorkel assembly and just left a gaping hole in the side of the airbox. The motor sounded cool as heck, but it felt like a gutless wonder. I was shocked how much stronger the car felt after reattaching the snorkel assembly. It's amazing the difference that such slight changes in the intake system can make on the engine's performance.

This was on a 3.1. A motor like a 3800 may respond a lot differently.

basicly going for a short ram intake of any kind is going to kill your car. Some people will say it feels quiker but what you are most likely seeing is just quicker throttle response. If your going to modify your intake you need to make it a cold air intake of some kind, otherwise your just wasting time, and effort.

basicly going for a short ram intake of any kind is going to kill your car. Some people will say it feels quiker but what you are most likely seeing is just quicker throttle response. If your going to modify your intake you need to make it a cold air intake of some kind, otherwise your just wasting time, and effort.

I agree...

Really, I think only the OHV 60* motors are harmed by a WAI. I've ran them on Northstars, and 3800s with a very positive effect....but that isn't what this thread is about anyway. :)

• 3 years later...

i agree the 3.1 runs forever ive had a knock i think its the wrist pin on one the cylinders i have a whole different motor and why change it its been knocking for a year and 20K

Who the hell brings back threads over 3 years old????!!! :willynilly:

well, if you look at the post count (1), i would say someone that is brand new to the site...