Rear suspension

jaredbonner1

The rear of my car squeaks sometimes like it's metal on metal. I need to do my rear brakes so I figure while I have everything apart I can get some new stuff to tighten up the back of the car so it won't roll as much

So the real question is what are the cheap suspension parts on the rear that will help tighten it up a little?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't know what the metal squeaking is, but for reducing roll you should upgrade your rear sway bar.    I know you said "cheap", but it's really worth it to get a better sway bar (and end links and bushings).    I waited a while to upgrade my rear sway bar on my 95 convertible (different setup than yours, of course), because I thought I couldn't afford the upgrade, but it made a huge difference once I finally did it (I bought used) and I'm regretting not doing it earlier.   

The cheapest way is just to upgrade the bushings and end links, if they are original to your 2001 GTP then they're shot.    I replaced just the bushings and sway bar end links for my 2004 Durango, and the original bushings and end links I pulled off after 11 years and 160k miles were shot.  I could feel a difference with just the bushings and end links.   

If your struts are done, you should probably do those first.   Then sway bar bushings and end links, and a beefier sway bar if you can afford it (and maybe even if you can't).     

Have the struts and mounts ever been replaced?

I'd replace worn factory components before looking at upgrading swaybars.

• Like 2

Check all your bushings. I had a squeak like that that I fixed just recently. It was a worn lateral link bushing causing it.

I would go with Moog parts. They're a little cheaper if you order direct from their web site.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the struts and mounts ever been replaced?

I'd replace worn factory components before looking at upgrading swaybars.

The front ones have but not the rear

Check all your bushings. I had a squeak like that that I fixed just recently. It was a worn lateral link bushing causing it.

I would go with Moog parts. They're a little cheaper if you order direct from their web site.

Moog is usually the brand I like but aren't there some gmpp trailing arms that are supposed to be really good?

• 3 weeks later...

The noise is way worse in the rain. I replaced the rear brakes and I was looking around and the trailing arms are pretty rusty. Do they have bushings or is there a whole mount you have to buy?

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure the leaf spring still has its end pads?  They tend to fall off over time.  You can either get replacements, or you can get plastic "pucks" that go into the spring seats and stop the metal to metal contact.  The 'pucks' are controversial though -- some claim that they will wear at the leaf spring fiberglass ends and eventually cause failure.