Flex-A-Form Rear Spring install and disappointment (7 pics)

GnatGoSplat

Guest TurboSedan
93 front (Intrax springs)= 14.5

93 rear (custom monoleaf)= 14.25

How do those stats sound to ya guys? 8)

i wish i could run out and measure mine but i have no engine in the car :? i'm using Eibach front lowering springs right now & TDC rear adjustable coilovers.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R Dubya

• GnatGoSplat

• airbe5car

• dsgrntld187

So the count is as follows..

Davis

Turby

Josh

Erok01

Me - 2 sets

That's 6.

Luke if you can come up with $50 you can get in on this. That will cover you until they arrive in 6-8 wks.. then the remainder is due.

Gnatgosplat

dsgrntld187

futuretgp'er

If you guys are in on this we need 1 more to make this work at $82.50.

Davis you want to buy a second set for your other Cutlass? Anyone know anyone or two that might be interested in this?

I'm gonna pass on the Intrax front springs unless they are smooth OEM-riding (which I doubt).

airbe5car's measurement on the front spring is actually 1/8" taller than mine with ST springs. Even if I fudged the measurement a bit, it looks like the drop is really close to being the same. I'm not going to pull my springs for a tiny difference.

The rear spring is a whole other matter. I'll definitely have to think about that. I was never happy with my FAF spring.

airbe5car, do you still have those double donut aux springs on the rear of your car?

No these are for the front springs.

So his car sits higher than yours with these springs Shawn?

Anytime call that guy at Birchmount and order your springs. He didn't seem too stuck on one large order, I think as long as he gets the business he will be happy.

And we don't have 10 people so we will not be getting the price of $82.50.

Me - 1 set

Turby - 1 set

Davis - 1 set

Erok01 - 1 set

TurboSedan - 1 set

That's five and about all we can seem to get together, so we are going to be paying 98.70 plus shipping. That's half of retail ($329.99) because there are only two springs, for the front, no rears, and take another 40% off of that number to give us the group price. Then you add shipping which shouldn't be more than $20-$30 tops. Is everyone still in on this or are we going to back off?

airbe5car, do you still have those double donut aux springs on the rear of your car?

I'm sorry, I do not know what you speak of :oops: Are they something that I can see if I go check outside on the car?

Guest TurboSedan
Is everyone still in on this or are we going to back off?

i'm still in. i really want the front of my car a little lower than what the Eibach springs offer (check sig pic...that's with 225/60-16s). i am not too worried about ride quality.

Shawn, in your opinion, should we anticipate at least a 1.5" drop with these Intrax springs? If it says 1.8" for Monte Carlo's, with approximately the same weight, we should get that, correct?

I'm sorry, I do not know what you speak of :oops: Are they something that I can see if I go check outside on the car?

Yep. Click this link:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ace69/regal/figure8.jpg

Pic courtesy of DiscoStudd! It's the black rubber figure-8 looking thing behind the struts and next to the calipers.

Shawn, in your opinion, should we anticipate at least a 1.5" drop with these Intrax springs? If it says 1.8" for Monte Carlo's, with approximately the same weight, we should get that, correct?

1.5" drop is possible, I'm not sure. I forgot to take accurate measurements of my car before and after the drop.

Why don't everyone just get what I have listed in my sig.

You will be impressed by the ride and handling.

ST springs are sweet and the FFP coil-overs are a night and day difference in handling.

Yep. Click this link:

Pic courtesy of DiscoStudd! It's the black rubber figure-8 looking thing behind the struts and next to the calipers.

yes I still have those things

Well for me personally, I don't want to damage anything, given the fact that the fender wells were not designed to withstand the weight of the vehicle. Also, the fact that I can get this spring for half the price it would cost for the coil overs, considering that I have damn near new struts on my car. However, those ST springs do give you a nice look for the front of that car.. but I will be going with 16" stock wheels on my TGP.

How much of a drop did you get with that car and those springs?

ST springs are sweet and the FFP coil-overs are a night and day difference in handling.

i think people are still wary of the rear coil overs due to the issue of thinner metal used for the rear strut towers...

i think people are still wary of the rear coil overs due to the issue of thinner metal used for the rear strut towers...

For me, that's a big part of it.

The other part of it are the little annoyances that Joshua (TurboSedan) and Jay have pointed out in the past... apparently big enough annoyances that they too are looking for a leaf even though they're not at all concerned about the strength of the strut towers.

airbe5car - thanks for the info. Since you still have those aux springs, I'm going to see if I can add some to my car and see if it affects the rear height at all.

Yep. Click this link:

yes I still have those things

My car didn't have those when i took my leafspring out.......was it supposed to......i have no idea?

My car didn't have those when i took my leafspring out.......was it supposed to......i have no idea?

Nah, Grand Prix's never got 'em. Just some Cutlasses, Luminas, and Regals. I had to pull them when I put in my 94 rear calipers because they were in the way (my 89 had a different design). For some reason, the rear ride height on my car increased 3/4" with them out. I also put in new KYB's at the same time so I can't be sure lacking the aux springs is the reason for the height increase or not.

I was just thinking if I can get ahold of some aux springs that work with my 94 rear calipers and IF they will drop the rear 3/4" or so, maybe my FAF spring would look a lot better.

want to sell them soon.. it will be almost April before they arrive, they are coming from Holland. If you want it, come up with a $50 deposit minimum and let me know. You pay the balance when they arrive at the warehouse in CA.

• 2 weeks later...

okay im sorry but im confused. I got me a 92 Lumina and would like to lower it but match the front and back. Im rolling on 17s and want to fill the space between the wheel well. Im not sure whats up with this buy can someone help me out.

Also whats up with this lowering leaf spring im hearing about. I work at a GM with the tool so this is a piece of cake to replace if thats all i need. Please let me know whats going on.

361237_2_full.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

for the front, the Intrax group buy is already underway, so it's probably too late to get in on that. otherwise, you could always buy the Suspension Techniques 1.5" drop front springs. they don't get the car quite as low as the Intrax (which are 1.8" drop) but they are only around $100 IIRC from JCWhitney. fwiw, i think Held Motorsports makes adjustable coilovers for the front but i wouldn't bother with them.

for the rear, get in on the Birchmount rear leaf spring group buy! (see Group Buy section). you can get the spring custom made to drop the car to your specifications and it only costs $155 USD. there are also rear adjustable coilovers from FFP (and maybe Held too) but i wouldn't recommend coilovers for the rear (i have them right now and practically hate them).

nice looking Lumina btw, it would look AWESOME lowered bigthumbsup.gif

Hey man, nice looking Lumina, welcome to the board..

I bet that we could get you a set of these Intrax springs.. I haven't heard from Turby in a few weeks and I think that he's not going to participate.. all his msgs are gone as well as PM's and every other trace of him.. I don't know what happened, but I emailed him and haven't heard a thing. We most likely could use another buyer..

I would call Intrax right now but it's too early, still 6:30am on the west coast.. when I get home today I will contact them and find out the situation. Let me know if you want in, Jeff may have an extra set if there aren't any available from Intrax directly.

Thanks for the comments fellas. I sure would like to lower her definitely, let me know about the group buy on the springs. will those intrax springs match the rear if i buy the leaf spring?