Low coolant light?

tgpguy21

So my low coolant light came on and i check my rad. and my reserve and they were both fine. Is there a sensor that could be going bad?Oh this is on my 94 gp se. Any ideas?

Probably. They're only like $10 if I remember right, and pretty easy to get to (on the 2.8 and 3.1's anyway). Worth a shot, at least if it doesn't work you'll know what it's not. :)

T

The sensor is on the radiator up under the filler neck, I thought they were more like $30 for this particular sensor. It's gray in color and square shaped, it's pretty common for them to go bad when they're old. I think the other guy above was talking about the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge cluster being $10 since he stated "pretty easy to get to on 2.8's/3.1's" as the radiator mounted low coolant sensor shouldn't be in no other location regardless of the engine in the car.

Guest Anonymous
Now do you have to strip this wire that connects this sensor or is it a clip type like our o2 sensors?

The sensor plugs in. Take the clip off, unplug the connector, plug the new one in and put the clip back on that holds it in the radiator.

Probably. They're only like $10 if I remember right, and pretty easy to get to (on the 2.8 and 3.1's anyway). Worth a shot, at least if it doesn't work you'll know what it's not. :)

T

$10 would be a bargain. Last time I priced them, they were $35+shipping from GMPD.

some of them are located at the base of the overflow bottle. Being that I work at used car lot, I've seen quite a few of them that were unpluged instead of repaired....lol

i'm not trying to rain on your parade but

mine showed that

not a month later intake gasket went

EDIT: but ... now that i think about it ... if i recall 95 was when they swapped to the 3100s ... am i right?

i'm not trying to rain on your parade but

mine showed that

not a month later intake gasket went

EDIT: but ... now that i think about it ... if i recall 95 was when they swapped to the 3100s ... am i right?

No is 94 is when they got the 3100.

And your coolant was probably gunked full of gasket and gunk causing the sensor to get clogged and therefore the light came on.

This is a good read for people worried about their headgaskets.. http://w-body.com/service/engine-headgasketleak.html

The coolant light on my 88 was always on so I took out the sensor and cleaned it. They get gummed up with green coolant goo and cleaning it will work sometimes. Mine rarely comes on anymore..

i had my cutlass doing that for a while after i flushed the cooling system. (fluid that came out was black :shock: ). i waited for a while to replace it and never needed to replace it light has gone off now :roll: