Do The Cooling Fans On a 3.1 Run Independent Or In Tandem?

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

Many of you remember my thread about the two W's being down I won't bump it back to the top. Well I finally put a new radiatior on the Loomie.

I warmed her up to check for leaks, and noticed that the fan on the drivers side cut on, but the passengers side did not. I don't want to drive it if it will run hot due to the aluminum engine.

Does anyone know if they they run in tandem or if one comes on to cool and the other acts as a reserve to cover heavy cooling needs?

Thanks!!

I believe they come on seperatly. I see just one run all the time. If I'm not wrong lol, the second comes on somewhere in between the mid and red zone

I believe they come on seperatly. I see just one run all the time. If I'm not wrong lol, the second comes on somewhere in between the mid and red zone

Thanks! That is what I thought. I had to take them out for the new radiator. I was afraid that one had somehow gotten broken. I know that it is a major job to put a radiator on them. The main reason is the tight space between the engine and radiator.

Here is hoping to no leaks. I drove it up the road. so that the thermostat would open.

Thanks again!

Only time they both should come on is hot temps or when A/C is on. However, the pass side one should run first, not the drivers side. And, it's just aluminum heads, the AL engine is about $4000. Now if you DO have that lemme know, I'm unna steal it. :lol:

thats a good question.

Always thought the drivers side one ran first. But how should i know, mine run when the engine is 220-240 anywhere past 240 is when i start to freak out and get impatient when im standing in traffic.

at 220 the driver side fan comes on. for the passenger side fan to come on, it either has to hit 227 or the AC has to be on MAX and full fan speed, I believe.

My '90 Lum runs the drv side normally and both when running a/c or hot.

Yeah, I bet it's different for Lumina's, because they are parts cars. :joke:

I was told the only time the second fan runs is when the A/C is on max and the blower fan is on high...that should make the fan come on.

Not true, there is a secondary fan on setpoint, but you really shouldn't reach it, unless something is wrong.

My '90 Lum runs the drv side normally and both when running a/c or hot.

Yeah, I bet it's different for Lumina's, because they are parts cars. :joke:

I was told the only time the second fan runs is when the A/C is on max and the blower fan is on high...that should make the fan come on.

Not true, there is a secondary fan on setpoint, but you really shouldn't reach it, unless something is wrong.

...FatBarn?....and if I turned the A/C on max and the blower fan on high the second cooling fan came on right then...which sounds to me like what I was told was true.

Thanks everyone! The DRIVERS side does come on first. I let all of my W's warm up to fan activation temp and the drivers side of ALL THREE of them came on. The loomie is doing fine now. :)

I just did not know, and did not want to drive it, have it run hot from both fans not coming on, and crack a head(since I was corrected earlier, I'll specify that I did not want to damage a head. I know the entire block is not aluminum. I call engines that have it on any part an aluminum engine)

I knew that I could not have mixed up the wiring connections. They come from a harness from either side of the car and one connection cannot reach the opposite fan. I suppose that is because only one runs most of the time, and they want to make sure that the connections do not get crossed up.

Thanks fellow W-Body owners!

I quoted you as Fat BaM (That's what my nephew used to call Batman when he was like 4, just stuck w/ me, sorry) What I meant by not true, is that: Yes indeed, it will come on under those parameters, but not

It does have a point at which if the engine gets hot enough it will come on. So, not ONLY during A/C operation. Just don't want mis-information being spread. I have 2 TGP's both primary fans are pass. side. Can't say I've actually watched the Cutty but I swear it's the pass. side as well. Oh well.

no probs there...I noticed in your sig your car is listed as "Black Sunshine"...is this just a name you have for the car or was it a color available on the TGP?...and if the answer is the latter is this some kind of heavy metallic black paint?...if it is I know that kind of thing is difficult to photograph but I'd really like to see it...that sounds very cool.

Nah, just a stock color, but it has a very high metallic content. I'll try and shoot some pics when I get back. I've been told by some body men (Not very good, so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them) it's only been used by a very few GM cars (others were Cadillac's) But yeah, Black Sunshine is just the cars name. Should be Broke Sunshine though. :lol: