TGP coolant overflow tank question

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

in my quest for TGP engine parts i have found that the TGP uses a different coolant overflow tank than the one i have (i have the '91+ variety). it seems that the only reason the TGP uses a different tank (and more importantly a completely different location) is that the TGP air box gets its air from a hole in the passenger side fender/ECM cover.

i was wondering if any of the TGP owners out there have swapped in the '91+ 3.1 overflow tank? it probably wouldn't work with the stock TGP air box setup, but it seems like there would be less clearance issues when using a K&N cone filter, and the overflow tank is easier to get at also. i am also wondering if the coolant tank being there hinders airflow in any way? anyway, for anyone doing a turbo conversion i would suggest a '91+ 3.1 coolant tank instead of the TGP setup.

Guest Anonymous

The coolant tank is below the level of the turbo and it doesn't really cause clearance (depending which filter you use) or airflow problems. It's just a pain in the ass to get to.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the swap to the bottle that fits where the cover is. It works really well, just have to add some tabs at the bottom for it to fit into.

there is actually a coolant tank for a w-body that will work. A 91-92 ish regal 3800 has one that hangs off of the strut tower and fits over the computer cover where the hole for the air box goes. If you wanted to use the original cover.